Aug. 12, 2016
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: John J. Caulfield, City Manager
Topics of Interest and Updates
New Lakewood Index Out
The City of Lakewood has posted its latest copy of the Lakewood Index , its official Economic Development E-newsletter.
In this issue, users can read articles about:
- An update on the exciting Motor Avenue Project
- The latest in a slew of new restaurants coming to Lakewood
- Diamond Designs Unlimited and Bite Me! Inc., two local businesses honored as the City's Business Showcase
- The latest economic statistics about Economic Development in Lakewood
Click on the image above to view the latest Lakewood Index.
South Tacoma Way Project Schedule, Aug. 15, 2016
The following is the construction schedule for the South Tacoma Way project for the week beginning Monday, Aug. 15, 2016, according to the Lakewood Public Works Department:
- The contractor will have the right-turn lane from eastbound 96th St S to southbound South Tacoma Way closed for the week as curbing, gutter, and sidewalk is constructed.
- Temporary lane closures will occur southbound South Tacoma Way, eastbound and westbound 100th St at S. Tacoma Way for curb, gutter and sidewalk construction. The contractor will be pouring several driveways over the next two weeks. Access will be maintained to all businesses along the project frontage.
I-5 Nighttime Lane Closure Aug. 15-19
(This message is from Sound Transit)
Drivers can expect nighttime lane closures on I-5 southbound between Mounts Road exit 116 and the rail bridge beginning at 9 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 15, to 6 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 19. The rail bridge is being rehabilitated as a component of the Point Defiance Bypass project, which reroutes Amtrak Cascades passenger trains to an inland rail line through DuPont, Lakewood and Tacoma.
Single-lane closures will occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. and double-lane closures will occur between 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. The work sequence will be east to west, with two left lanes closed Monday and Tuesday nights, followed by two right lanes closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights. During this time, the southbound I-5 onramp at Mounts Road will be closed.
Council Preview: Aug. 15, 2016
Here is a list of items scheduled for discussion and/or action at the Lakewood City Council meeting on Aug. 15, 2016 :
- Business Showcase on Tuladhara Yoga
- Motions to execute agreements with Lakeview Light & Power relative to the maintenance and operation of City streetlights and attaching streetlights to utility poles with the Lakeview Light & Power service area
- A report from the City Manager on the review of the fee schedule amendments relative to the Rental Housing Safety Program
The Lakewood City Council meeting begins 7 p.m., at Lakewood City Hall, 6000 Main St. SW.
Pit Bulls on Parade, Aug. 20 at Fort Steilacoom Park
Here's a cool event that will be right in our own backyard:
JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo, Aug. 27-28
The 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo at McChord Field Aug. 27-28 is just five weeks away. JBLM’s first air show since 2012 will feature the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron—Thunderbirds, the U.S. Army Parachute Demonstration Team—Golden Knights, and more than a dozen other aerial performances, all scheduled to perform each day.
The Airshow and Warrior Expo is free and open to the public. Gates open at 9 a.m. and flying is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. both days.
Here’s a list of the scheduled performers in alphabetical order:
- Ace Maker T-33 Jet solo performance
- B-17 Flying Fortress fly-by
- B-25 Mitchell fly-by
- C-17 Globemaster III demonstration
- Cascade W arbirds
- F/A-18 Hornet tactical demonstration
- Huey & Cobra helicopters demonstration
- Joint Forces Air Drop Demonstration with CH-47 Chinooks & C-17 Globemaster III
- KI-43 Oscar solo performance
- P-38 Lightning solo performance
- U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds
- U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team
- WWII Warbird Dogfight (P-38 vs. KI 43)
There will be more than 30 aircraft and military vehicles and equipment on display.
- Pierce Transit: Park at the Lakewood Transit Station, 11424 Pacific Hwy SW, Lakewood, or the Tacoma Dome Transit Station (by Freighthouse Square) and ride a Pierce Transit bus to the Airshow.
- Non-DOD ID Cardholders: Enter JBLM via I-5 exit 125 and proceed to the McChord Field gate.
DOD ID Cardholders: Enter JBLM Lewis Main via I-5 exits 119 through 123, or the Lewis Main east gate. Park at Madigan Army Medical Center or the Logistics Center and take free bus shuttles to McChord Field.
For more information, visit:
- 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo website: jblmawe.com
- 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo Facebook: facebook.com/jblmawe
- 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo Twitter: www.twitter.com/jblmawe
For more information, contact JBLM Public Affairs at (253) 967-0158 / 0152 / 0154.
American Lake Park Boat Launch to Open at 5:30 a.m.
In order to better accommodate residents and fishermen, the City of Lakewood will open the gate to the American Lake Park boat launch at 5:30 a.m.
The park's gates and restrooms will continue to open at 7 a.m. As always, boat launch fees are $15 per day, or users can purchase a season pass at Lakewood City Hall, 6000 Main St. SW.
Only vehicles with trailers are allowed to park in the boat launch parking lot – any single vehicles must park in the adjacent lot at the park.
More information regarding American Lake Boat Launch can be found at /parks-and-recreation/parks/american-lake-park .
House of Donuts To Hold First Donut-Eating Contest
Original House of Donuts is turning 57, and to mark this milestone, the iconic Lakewood business is holding its first-ever donut-eating contest. Check out the company's news release below:
To celebrate OHOD’s 57th Birthday, we will be starting a new tradition, the first annual World Donuts Eating Contest.
The weekend on August 19th through 21st, OHOD Lakewood will celebrate its birthday in the same fashion as our recent Tacoma store birthday, a free donut w/ a hole in it with any purchase.
Along with this, on Saturday 8/20/16 we will hold our first ever World Donut Eating Contest. Entries are still being accepted in store and we will randomly choose our lucky contestants on 8/17/16.
The contest itself will be held on 8/20/16 at 1:30 PM.
Competitors will be tasked with eating as many Glazed Cake Donuts as they can in a time limit of 5 minutes.
Official contest rules can be found on our website at: www.originalhouseofdonuts.com/contestrules
The grand prize winner will receive free donuts for one year (1 dozen donuts per month for 12 months), a free T-shirt of their choice, their very own Donut Championship trophy, and their name on our Official World Donut Championship Trophy, to be displayed in store.
Runners up have the chance to win OHOD gift cards and T-shirts. And all contestants will have the chance to win a dozen donuts.
We hope everyone will stop by and celebrate with us, we are so proud to have been a part of this amazing community for so long, and we want to take every chance we get to thank our friends and fans that make what we do here at the Original House of Donuts possible.
The City Council will be holding a regular meeting Monday, August 15, 2016, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
August 15, 2016 Regular Meeting
- Business showcase – Tuladhara Yoga
- Appoint 2016-2017 Youth Council members and Lakewood’s Promise Youth Council Representative
- Set September 6, 2016 as the date for a public hearing on Sound Transit 3 ballot proposition
- Approve an agreement with Lakeview Light and Power for streetlighting
- Approve an agreement with Lakeview Light and Power for pole attachments
- Reports by the City Manager - Review of fee schedule amendments relative to rental housing program
The City Council will be holding a study session on Monday, August 22, 2016, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
August 22, 2016 Study Session
- Parks CIP update
- Abatement Program update
- 2016 Comprehensive Plan update
- Review of Title 12A complete streets ordinance