December 23rd, 2016
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: John J. Caulfield, City Manager
Topics of Interest and Updates
Orienteering Training & Race on January 7th
You have a map, a compass, and a mission: To find all of the checkpoints (control markers) on your map in the least amount of time, relying on your own wits. Go solo or with a group: run, walk, it’s up to you! A perfect activity to get the whole family outdoors, finding checkpoints is like a treasure hunt. This activity also helps Scouts fulfill badge requirements. Cascade Orienteering Club is teaming up with Lakewood Parks and Rec to provide special newcomer instruction and training; followed by your choice of the beginner or intermediate course. Please bring your own compass if you would like to use it, compasses are optional and beginner and intermediate courses may be completed easily without one.
Where: Fort Steilacoom Park
When: Saturday January 7, 2017
Time: Trainings begin at 10:30 AM, 11:00 AM, 11:30 AM, 12:00 PM
Beginner course between 1-2.5K
Intermediate course between 2-3K
More information online in our flyer .
Parks Special Events: Save the Date! Martin Luther King J Celebration, Father Daughter Dance
Lakewood's 14th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Celebration, "The Dream in Person" with featured speaker Cinthia Illan-Vazquez (Daffodil Princess, Act Six Scholar, graduate of Clover Park High School and Whitworth University) and featured performers Morris Northcutt, the Prairie Bells, Harrison Prep School Choir, Reverend Pat Wright and the Total Experience Gospel Choir.
When: Saturday. January 14th, 2017
Time: 10:00am to 12:00pm
Where: Sharon McGavick Conference Center, Clover Park Technical College, 4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood
Free admission, free parking
More information online at our special events page flyer for MLK Jr Day.
The Boots 'n Bling Father Daughter Dance: Get your dancing boots on and create memories with your daughter on this wonderful night! Country western theme with casual or semi-formal attire. Snacks, photo booth, DJ and dancing. Register now at active.com
When: Saturday, February 25, 2017
Time: 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Where: Sharon McGavick Conference Center, 4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood
More information online at the special events flyer for the dance .
Snow and Ice Response Priorities
Winter is here! When cold weather comes, take extra time and planning to reach your destination safely. Lakewood Public Works will be working to keep your daily commute free of hazards. Take a moment to review your route on our priority response map for snow and ice(PDF) .
Senior Activity Center Rally for Seahawks Football
Tuesday December 13th – As part of the 12 Days of Goodness -- Touching Hearts of Seniors over the Holidays-- the Senior Activity Center held a special Seahawks rally with a special appearance from NFL Alumni and Seahawks fans! The Seahawk Rooster, the Chef and former pro baller Hillary Butler stopped by to spread a little cheer and raffle off prizes to our senior community. Find more photographs from the rowdy event on the City of Lakewood Facebook page . Thanks to South Sound Seahawkers and Visiting Angels and the rest of the volunteers for their generosity.
Springbrook Park Improvements
The Parks Department, Public Works Department, and City of Lakewood are continuously working to make better infrastructure, attractive environments, and ensure a sustainable and high standard of living for all residents. Some of this work includes expansion of Springbrook Park and installation of new equipment, as well as work on new sidewalks, lighting, signals and lanes on Bridgeport Way. Learn more about the City's efforts work to-date in this blog post and find photos of what's in store.
Safer Shopping Tips This Holiday Season
Lakewood Police Chief Mike Zaro has a few suggestions on how to have a fun and enjoyable holiday season while you're out shopping.
December 27, 2016 Tuesday Study Session - Cancelled
January 3, 2017 (Tues) Regular Meeting
• Proclamation recognizing Becky Huber
• Proclamation MLK Day and Black History month
• Proclamation declaring January as School Board recognition month
• Youth Council Report
• Clover Park School District Report
• Appointing members to Arts Commission
• Appointing member to Public Safety Advisory Committee
• Approve amendments to Legacy Plan
• Approve agreement for gateway signs at GLD & Washington Blvd & Ft. Steilacoom Park
• Approve agreement with Greater Lakes Mental Healthcare for mental health services
• Reports by the City Manager - Review of 2017 Council liaisons to citizens advisory boards and committees and external committees
January 9th, 2017 Study Session
• Economic Development Update
• Pavement Management Index Report
• Review of citizens' advisory boards, committees and commission 2017 Work Plans
• Review of Central Business District Marketing Analysis (tentative)
• Review of Adult Family Homes(tentative)
January 17th, 2017 (Tuesday) Regular Meeting
• Business showcase
• AMTRAK Update - Mr. David Smelser, Rail Capital Program Manager, WSDOT
• Adopt City Council Rules amendments
• Adopt citizens' advisory boards, committees and commission 2017 Work Plans
• Reports by the City Manager - North Clear Zone Strategy and Action Plan Update; review of accepting donations ordinance; and 2017 City Council Retreat