January 20th, 2017
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: John J. Caulfield, City Manager
Topics of Interest and Updates
Business showcase with Chambers Creek Veterinary Hospital, with Mary Oberson, Hospital Manager
The City Council recognized Chambers Creek Veterinary Hospital as this month's business showcase. The Chambers Creek Veterinary Hospital has committed many years to treating animals and providing exemplary service to the animal-owning residents of the area---its reputation precedes itself as an outstanding member of the business community in Lakewood. You can read more about the history and their specialty services in this month's Economic Development Business Showcase .
Point Defiance Bypass Track and Signal Testing
Testing of the new Point Defiance Bypass signals and tracks
will occur in January and February 2017. Watch for trains traveling up to 79 mph between the Tacoma Dome Station and Nisqually, including the tracks that parallel Interstate 5 from South Tacoma, through Lakewood, Joint Base Lewis McChord and DuPont.
WSDOT wants to ensure you stay safe during this testing, so remember:
- Trains will be traveling at speeds up to 79 mph
- Trains may come from either direction, day or night
- Wait for crossing arms to go up and/or lights to stop flashing before proceeding
- Obey all signals at all times (pedestrians and vehicles)
- Do not walk on or near the tracks
- If police or flaggers are present, follow their directions
Looking for Active Residents to Serve on Community Advisory Boards
Are you an active member of the Lakewood community? The City of Lakewood is looking to fill a vacancies on our community adbisory boards . Board members typically have some experience or expertise in the subject, are able to meet on a monthly basis, and serve for a specific number of months or years. For more specific information on each of the vacancies and for questions on how to apply, please refer to the descriptions linked below.
- Landmarks and Heritage Advisory Board. Members work to identify and actively encourage the conservation of the City’s historic resources by establishing and maintaining a register of historic landmarks, landmark sites, historic special review districts, and conservation districts, among other responsibilities. 2 vacancies, through 12/31/2019.
- Community Services Advisory Board Members help to conduct public hearings, make recommendations to Council regarding community service fundings, among other responsibilities. 1 vacancy, through 12/15/2020.
- Arts Commission Members help to promote the visual, performing and literary arts and encourage the creative contribution of local artists, among other responsibilities. 1 vacancy through 10/15/2017.
- Lakewood's Promise Advisory Board Members make recommendations to Council regarding the Lakewood's Promise mission and youth development, among other responsibilities. 1 vacancy, through 5/21/2020.
Free Car Maintenance Workshops at Clover Park Technical College
Does your car drip? Ever wondered if a ‘spot’ on the ground came from your car? Want to learn how to properly maintain your car? Join the experts for a FREE Auto Leaks workshop - a $125 value. Open to everyone in Puget Sound. At this workshop you’ll:
- Get a free professional car health assessment from a certified automotive instructor.
- Learn how to identify and prevent leaks.
- Receive tips on repairing minor common leaks.
- Learn preventive maintenance.
- Leave the class with a FREE Vehicle Maintenance Check Kit and the confidence to talk to your mechanic.
Read more and register for a workshop at Fix Car Leaks
New Issue of Lakewood Connections Magazine
The latest issue of Lakewood Connections is out! Read about the latest on the city budget, local transportation and road projects, updates on Waughop Lake Trail and more. Find out about upcoming winter programming and activities like the Father Daughter Dance, the Ray Evans Fishing event, snowshoeing, and classes at the Senior Activity Center. Read the latest issue online .
The City Council will be holding a study session on Monday, January 23, 2017, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
January 23, 2017 Study Session
• Chambers Creek Master Plan update. – Mr. Joseph Coppo, Pierce County Parks and Recreation
• LED streetlights project update
• Review of sponsorship guidelines
• Parks CIP progress report
• Legacy Plan Progress Report
• Parks code update
Then immediately following the January 23, 2017 Council Study Session, the Council will hold a special meeting at the same location. Agenda item for the special meeting include:
January 23, 2017 (Special Meeting) - Following Study Session
• Confirmation of Municipal Court Judge appointment
The City Council will be holding a special meeting on Monday, January 30, 2017, beginning at 6:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
January 30, 2017 (Special Meeting) Joint Clover Park School District Board, 6:00 PM
• Review of CPSD Board decision on school facilities