July 3, 2014
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: John J. Caulfield, City Manager
Topics of Interest and Updates
Happy Independence Day
Here’s to a safe and happy Fourth of July holiday, Lakewood. Just a reminder that in observance of Independence Day, Lakewood City Hall and the Lakewood Police Station will be closed Friday, July 4. If you have an after-hours, Public Works-related emergency, please contact (253) 267-1628. If you have an after-hours, Police-related matter, contact (253) 830-5000 or 911 if it’s an emergency.
Q&A: Fireworks in Lakewood
As the country celebrates its independence this July Fourth, the City of Lakewood recognizes that residents will purchase and use fireworks to show their independence. But there are restrictions, and violation of these restrictions could result in a fine and even jail time. Not a good way to celebrate the Red, White and Blue, to say the least. To help residents determine what and what not to do, the City is providing this Q&A regarding fireworks in the City of Lakewood: http://goo.gl/u5IFkh .
Lakewood SummerFEST on July 12
Don't look now, but Lakewood SummerFEST 2014 is only nine, count ‘em, nine days away!
Will you be taking part in this free, family friendly event July 12 at Fort Steilacoom Park? You should be planning on it:
- Stop by early and enjoy the final leg of the Sprint Triathlon (swim, bike and run) presented by St. Clare Hospital. Come watch these amazing athletes cross the finish line around 10 a.m.
- Beginning at 11 a.m., more than 75 public market vendors and 20 food vendors will provide a variety of things to see, eat and buy
- Families can enjoy two stages of free entertainment, a soccer tournament and Police, Fire, Army Strong vehicles and other community displays
- West Pierce Fire and Rescue will be on site to provide safety information, as well as sell life vests and bike helmets
- For a small fee, children can enjoy the petting zoo and bouncing, climbing and racing in the KidZone
- Come see the classic cars displayed at the Partners for Parks car show
- Stay all day and into the night for our Comcast/Xfinity outdoor movie in the park – starting at dusk
- This annual event brings our community and guests together to celebrate Lakewood
To find out more, visit the Lakewood SummerFEST 2014 webpage .
Lakewood, Pierce College Welcome Korean Consulate General
Korean-Americans have long been part of Lakewood’s heritage. From the ethnic business along South Tacoma Way to soldiers and their families at Joint Base Lewis-McChord to the Sister Cities partnership that the community shares overseas.
On Monday, Moon Duk-ho, Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Seattle, reminded officials, staff and students at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom why that connection between the two regions will only grow.
Moon was the featured guest at a commemoration the college held for its photo exhibit: “Past, Present and Future Friends of Korea: Memories of Peace Corps Korea Volunteers.”
The exhibit featured some 70 historical photographs that document Peace Corps volunteers dating back to 1966, when they were first allowed into Korea. It’s intended to celebrate who have dedicated their lives to the study, service and development of the Republic of Korea. To read the rest of the story, visit http://goo.gl/87TxvF .
Dennis Higashiyama, Tennis Team Onto USTA Senior Nationals
Employees from the City of Lakewood and Clover Park School District, as part of the Lakewood Racquet Club 8.0 Senior Men's Tennis Team, won the United States Tennis Association - USTA Pacific Northwest Sectional Championship last weekend in Sunriver, OR.
Local players John Shelton, tennis coach for Lakes High School, and our very own Recreation Coordinator Dennis Higashiyama, will help the rest of the team when it completes this fall at the Senior Nationals in Arizona. The team went undefeated throughout last week's competition. Now, it will play against teams from across the country. Congrats, Dennis and John. You've made us extremely proud. Good luck at Nationals!
‘Coffee With The Mayor’
Join Mayor Don Anderson for his regular “Coffee With The Mayor” presentation 7:30 a.m., Tuesday, July 8. The event takes place at St. Clare Hospital in the Resource Center, 4908 112th Street SW.
The guest speaker will be Judge Grant Blinn from the Municipal Court for Lakewood, University Place and Steilacoom. If you have questions, please contact Briana Schumacher at (253) 983-7705.
500 Twitter Followers And Counting…
The City of Lakewood’s Twitter page has officially reached 500 followers, putting us only 54,109,873 behind the social media site’s leading user, pop star Katy Perry. In other words, we're coming for your title, Katy.
Help us get there by following and encouraging your Twitter friends/family to do the same:https://twitter.com/CityofLakewood
Parks, Recreation and Community Services
Discount Registration for Triathlon
Attention Triathletes! This is your lucky day (or weekend).The City will be running a July 4 weekend special for the SummerFEST Triathlon, July 12 at Fort Steilacoom Park.
We will promote the early bird rates, including the Hero (Military, Fire or Police) = $40 and Team = $90 price starting Friday, July 4, and running it through the weekend. Feel free to pass this great deal on to others who might like to participate. The SummerFEST Triathlon is an amazing event. Hope to see you there!
To register, visit http://goo.gl/ecS3BJ . Don’t miss this opportunity!
The City Council will be holding a regular meeting on Monday, July 7, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Recognizing Nina Klinkhammer AWC Youth Scholarship Award.
- Clover Park School District Report
- Gateway entrances design update
- Public hearing on Six Year TIP
- Adopt 2013-2014 biennial budget amendments
- Adopt tax incentive urban use center and residential target area
- Bid award for Madigan access improvements Phase I
- Adopt City Council goals and priorities
- Property donation at 3710 100th St. SW (Briefing by the City Manager)
The City Council will be holding a study session on Monday, July 14, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Review of fleet and equipment plan
- LED streetlighting financing
- Review of City Funds code amendments
The Transportation Benefit District Board will be holding a meeting following the Council study session on Monday, July 14, 2014, in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Transportation projects funding options