City Council Priorities
Adopted July 16, 2012
- Develop a vision for the City Center
- Foster redevelopment of the Pacific Highway corridor, Woodbrook and Tillicum
- Maintain and enhance public safety
- Develop a vision for parks and public spaces to improve quality of life and attract residents
- Sustain regional leadership and coordination role with military partners
- Pursue annexation of selected areas within the City’s Urban Growth Area (UGA)
- Continue cooperative partnership with educational institutions in Lakewood
- Protect the capital investment in the transportation system through adequate maintenance and preservation of facilities
Key policy issues the City Council will address in 2012
- Pacific Highway, Woodbrook and Town Center – assess options for economic development.
- Transportation Benefit District – how can the City continue to fund street maintenance as existing funding sources continue to decline?
- Union Avenue development options – the Council will determine right-of-way width and other basic design features to address constraints of existing roads in Tillicum.
- Amtrak – monitor ongoing Environmental Assessment (EA) discussions (the WSDOT EA is not likely to be released until Summer 2012).
- Fort Steilacoom Golf Course – assess feasibility of transition from Pierce County.