Applying for a Building Permit
The International Building Code adopted by the City requires that you get a permit before doing any:
- construction, enlargement, alteration, repair, movement, demolition, or changing the occupancy of any building or structure; and
- installation, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal, conversion, or replacement of any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.
This includes tenant improvements to leased space. There are a few exceptions to this rule, which may be found here .
If you’ve never worked with or gotten a building permit before, it’s sometimes challenging to figure out which of the application forms below you might need to use or what regulations apply to your project. If you don’t already know what permit(s) you need, we encourage you to consult with our Permit Counter staff prior to downloading and completing forms. This can help to avoid confusion and wasted time and effort at your end. The Permit Counter is located on the second floor of Lakewood City Hall, located at 6000 Main Street SW, and is open on a first-come, first served basis from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. (If you are ready to submit your application, we ask that you arrive no later than 4:00 p.m.)
Property owners may perform work on their own property. If a contractor is used, the contractor must have a state contractor's license (and/or appropriate state specialty license) and a City of Lakewood business license. Please keep in mind that work on a project cannot legally begin before a permit is issued. When developing your construction schedule, please consider the time that will be needed to obtain all necessary permits before construction.
Permit fees are based on the value of the work, including labor, materials, and sales tax.
- Building Permit Application (pdf 40 kB)
- Commercial-industrial TI Submittal Packet (pdf 103 kB)
- Commercial Mechanical Permit (pdf 41 kB)
- Commercial Plumbing Permit (pdf 48 kB)
- Demolition Permit Application Submittal Packet (pdf 46 kB)
- Detached Residential Structure Submittal Packet (pdf 74 kB)
- Home Occupation Packet (pdf 140 kB) (doc 241 kB)
- New Commercial-industrial Building Submittal Packet (pdf 130 kB)
- New Sign Permit Application (pdf 44 kB)
- New Single Family-duplex Packet (pdf 80 kB)
- Preapp Packet (pdf 33 kB) (doc 706 kB)
- Residential Additions-remodel Submittal Packet (pdf 100 kB)
- Residential Mechanical Permit (pdf 40 kB)
- Residential Plumbing Permit (pdf 46 kB)
- Revision Submittal (pdf 41 kB)
- Temporary Sign Permit Application (pdf 40 kB)
- Window Replacement Application (pdf 272 kB)
After your permit has been issued, you may schedule an inspection 24 hours or more in advance of the day you would like the inspection to be performed. Please call the inspection line at (253) 512-2266 and leave your recorded message, providing all the information as directed; or arrange for an inspection online .