Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of a police report?
Pro Se Defendants may request a copy of the police report from the Prosecutor’s Office. The request must be in writing and signed by the defendant. If a defendant has an attorney, discovery will be requested by and sent to the attorney. Persons who are not a defendant in a case may do a public records request at the first floor counter of Lakewood City Hall. Lakewood police reports can also be requested through South Sound 911 (SS911) records at the County City building at 930 Tacoma Avenue South Room 239, in downtown Tacoma.
How can I get a public defender?
You must be screened to see if you qualify for a public defender. Qualification is based on financial need. Defendants are usually directed to screen for the public defender immediately after arraignment. Please contact Lakewood Municipal Court at (253) 512-2258 for more information.
How can I get an attorney if I don’t qualify for the public defender?
The Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral Service. Their number is (253) 383-3432.
I can’t make my court date, how do I reschedule my hearing?
Contact your attorney. If you do not have an attorney, call the Lakewood or University Place Municipal Court at (253) 512-2258.
How can I get information regarding the status of my case?
Call the Lakewood or University Place Municipal Court at (253) 512-2258. Victims can also receive case information from the Legal Department by calling (253) 589-2489.
How do I report a crime?
If it is an emergency situation, call 911. In non-emergency situations, a police report can be made at the Lakewood Police Department at 9401 Lakewood Drive SW.
I have been subpoenaed as a witness in a case. How do I find out when the trial will be held?
Lakewood and University Place Municipal Court reserves Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the third full week of each month for jury trials. Your subpoena will list the date and time the trial has been scheduled. For more information, please contact the Prosecutor's Office at (253) 589-2489