Housing Assistance

The City of Lakewood is dedicated to ensuring all its citizens have access to the resources they need in order to live healthy and productive lives. An important part of this is connecting citizens to the resources they need in order to remain housed.

Homeless Shelters & Assistance

Families currently homeless or facing homelessness must make Access Point 4 Housing their first point of contact Associated Ministries Access Point 4 Housing (AP4H). Pierce County has implemented a centralized intake service that offers a single, trusted access point to which people can be referred for assessment, case management, emergency shelter or transitional housing.

More and more families are facing foreclosure and/or eviction and are facing homelessness. If you have been given a 3-day pay or vacate notice, and/or your home is being foreclosed upon and you have no place to go, the first step is to contact Access Point 4 Housing: (253) 682-3401

Low-cost Housing Options

There are several resource guides available to assist with finding low-cost rental housing in Lakewood and throughout Pierce County:

Landlord Tenant Issues

The City of Lakewood wants to ensure all citizens have access to the rights that govern landlord tenant laws. The State of Washington’s Residential Landlord Tenant Law (RLTL) governs how both landlords and tenants must work together. The RLTL is covered under RCW 59.18 and can be read in its entirety by going to this link: RCW 59.18 or Tenant Rights WA State

Understanding RCW 59.18 can be challenging. For this reason, Washington Law Help has created a vast number of resources that may help landlords and tenants more clearly understand their rights and responsibilities. This resource can be located at: Washington Law Help

Are you in need of Legal Assistance? Current residents of Pierce County have access to free legal resources to work on your behalf regarding your rights as a tenant in Washington. Northwest Justice is a free legal resource that will not only answer your questions, but in many circumstances will provide free legal advocacy in Court. To learn more about what NW Justice offers, you can view their website at: NW Justice

Do you need to speak to an attorney? Call CLEAR, Washington’s toll-free, centralized intake, advice and referral service for low-income people seeking free legal assistance with civil legal problems. Call 1-(888) 201-1014 weekdays from 9:15 a.m. until 12:15 p.m. CLEAR works with a language line to provide interpreters as needed at no cost to callers. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call 1-(888) 201-1014 using your preferred TTY or Video relay service. Persons 60 and Over: Persons 60 or over may call CLEAR*Sr at 1-(888) 387-7111, regardless of income.

Frequently Asked Questions

This is a list of the most frequently asked questions regarding tenants’ rights in Washington State:

My apartment has mold. What can I do about mold?
The Department of Health suggests that mold is not the health hazard often believed to be. For information regarding mold in your home, contact: MOLD
My landlord refuses to make repairs. What are my rights regarding repairs?
For information regarding tenants right to repairs, review Repairs
I have moved out, and my landlord refuses to give me back my deposits. What can I do?
For information regarding your rights to refund of deposits, review Deposits

Fair Housing in Lakewood

The City of Lakewood, by and through Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), invests in ensuring that Lakewood citizens’ rights are preserved pursuant to Fair Housing.

Housing Discrimination Complaints

Individuals who reside in western or central Washington and have an allegation of discrimination relating to a housing transaction may contact the Fair Housing Center of Washington. Staff will conduct an intake to ensure that the housing issue relates specifically to a protected class under federal, state or local fair housing laws. Protected classes include:

  • Federal Protected Classes: Race, Color, National Origin, Sex, Religion, Familial Status (presence of children under 18) & Disability
  • State Protected Classes (in addition to the federal protected classes) Marital Status, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Veteran’s Status
  • Local (View the protected classes chart )

Fair Housing Center staff assists persons with disabilities with reasonable accommodations or reasonable modifications (View reasonable accommodation/modification information ).

To file a complaint, or seek assistance with a reasonable accommodation or reasonable modification please contact (253) 274-9523 or .

Additional information can be obtained by contacting: Fair Housing

Emergency Relocation Assistance

The City of Lakewood has Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds that provide emergency one-time relief to low-income Lakewood residents displaced from their homes through no fault of their own.

These funds can be used when citizens are found living in sub-standard housing conditions that pose a health and safety risk so severe that the City must render the housing “unsuitable for living”. Additionally, the City has partnered with West Pierce Fire and Rescue, to provide relocation assistance to low-income citizens who are displaced due to fires.

For more information regarding the City’s relocation assistance through Emergency Assistance for Displaced Residents (EADR), please contact CDBG staff: