The Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department is developing the Lakewood Legacy Plan, a 20-year strategic plan to meet the future park and recreation needs of the community. The city is working very closely with a 17-member Legacy Team to develop the plan. This diverse team represents the many different needs and interests in our community.
This DRAFT Legacy Plan will take the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department to the next level by implementing and by advancing the city's comprehensive plan and thinking outside the box. This Legacy Plan is driven by the profound understanding of how a sustainable park and recreation system can greatly impact a community.
The Legacy Plan represents the aspirations and needs expressed by members of the community through numerous surveys, Legacy Team meetings, focus group discussions, social media and open houses. The Plan is truly a community effort committed to painting a bright future together and leaving a healthy legacy for generations to enjoy.
Please review the following documents and let us know what you think.
- Title Page
- Executive Summary
- Goals and Strategies
- Recreation Program
- Park Plan Elements
- Parks CIP 2015-2020
Next Steps - Putting the Plan into Action
Once approved by Council, the City is committed to implement this Plan by doing the following tasks:
- Implementing - the prioritized strategies and actions through work program and budget development
- Monitoring - the effects of plan implementation by tracking the defined performance indicators
- Integrating - the various components of this Plan into the city comprehensive plan
- Developing departmental policies - and procedures to guide staff day-to-day application of the Plan
- Developing other implementation tools - or operational plans to assist decision-making and program development
- Providing additional training - to engage staff in continuous learning and self-evaluation
- Expanding revenue sources - to sustain the park and recreation system over the long-term
Our Continuous Commitment
The Legacy Plan is a living document responsive to the changing pulses of the community. Lakewood will continue to work with the residents, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and City Council as it advances the Plan to create an active, engaged and livable Lakewood.
With the commitment to offer a wide spectrum of safe, clean and fun parks and recreation offerings, Lakewood will help shape a healthy and vibrant community where opportunities abound.