The Administrative Services Department provides city-wide administrative services including financial reporting, budget, audit coordination, accounting, cash management, human resources, risk management, information technology and fleet & equipment.
The goals and objectives of the Administrative Services Department includes the following:
- Provide transparent and accountable financial services to the City by exercising sound financial leadership, planning and guidance; recommending, establishing and maintaining sound fiscal policies and practices
- Enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of City operations by providing varied professional expertise and guidance
- Deliver consistent, high quality service and support to internal and external customers
- Create an environment of mutual respect and partnership with City departments
The department is comprised of three divisions - Finance, Information Technology and Human Resources. The Assistant City Manager for Administrative Services serves as the City's Finance Director.
The Finance Division provides accurate financial information from which educated judgments can be made on the financial health of the City and decisions can be made by City leadership regarding City operations. The division's responsibilities include the following: accounts payable; accounts receivable; payroll; cash and investment management; financial forecasting; budget preparation; internal control monitoring; audit; financial reporting which includes quarterly, year-end and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); non-departmental/centralized services; fleet and equipment administration; and general accounting such as capital projects, capital assets, and grants.
The goals and objectives of the Finance Division include the following:
- Provide timely, accurate, user-friendly and transparent financial information and services
- Ensure compliance with purchasing laws and regulations
- Ensure proper internal control in city operations to safeguard city resources
- Maintain reliability and integrity of the City's financial data and processes
- Stay abreast of new developments in accounting and finance
The Information Technology Division provides information technology support for the City's computer network, including the operation, maintenance and repair of network hardware and client workstations. The division's responsibilities include the following: day-to-day network center operations; technical services that support and enhance the City's information systems and covers all data, hardware and software which includes applications, operating systems, special systems, networks, employee training, and equipment acquisition; communications services including technical services, support maintenance and enhancements to the City's telephone system, cellular and other mobile devices, and building wire cable, wireless and other communications-related needs; and internet and intranet web services including developing and maintaining the City's web, FTS (File Transfer Protocol) and VPN (Virtual Private Network) services, providing user training, monitoring system security, and developing interfaces. The division also provides geographical information services (GIS) which includes developing and maintaining the City's spatial database, producing maps, analyzing data, generating reports, providing user training, and developing user-friendly internal and external interfaces to the City's GIS.
The goals and objectives of the Information Technology Division include the following:
- Support City goals and department objectives through automation
- Provide excellent customer service, employee service and user training
- Understand user departments' business process and needs
- Streamline City operations through integration and systems automation
- Keep informed of technology trends, enhancements and capabilities
- Seek new technology and apply where it is cost effective
- Provide stable and reliable information technology infrastructure
- Provide up-to-date hardware and software tools
- Improve access to City services and information through the web and other online systems
The Human Resources Division provides human resources functional expertise and support and risk management coordination support to management and employees so City department can successfully deliver efficient and cost -effective government services to citizens. The purpose is to develop and administer fair and equitable human resources and risk management systems which are in alignment with City goals and objectives, balance the needs of employees and the City, and ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
The goals and objectives of the Human Resources Division include the following:
- Attract and retain a highly qualified,, diverse workforce
- Foster amicable employee/labor relations
- Promote employee safety, wellness and high productivity and performance
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations
- Maintain consistency and fairness when implementing and administering policy decisions and directions