Deana Wright (253) 512-2258 • Fax (253) 512-2267 •
Court Administrator


Where are you located and what are your hours?

  • The Court is on the first floor of City Hall at 6000 Main Street SW .
  • Counter & Payments: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
  • Phones: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm


When is my court date?

I cannot appear at my court date. Can I reset it?

  • If you have a non-criminal traffic matter, you can appear in person at the counter before the scheduled date to request a new court date. This can only be done once. If you have a criminal matter, you cannot reschedule your court date.

I missed my court date. What should I do?

  • Contact the court at (253) 512-2258 or come in person to review your options.

How do I quash my warrant?

  • Contact the court at (253) 512-2258 or come to the counter with photo ID to review your options.
  • LMCLR CR2.2 is the local court rule addressing warrant recall procedures.

How do I get my driver’s license unsuspended?

  • If your driving privileges are suspended, the Suspended License Reinstatement Tool from Department of Licensing will explain how to get your license reinstated.
  • If you just paid a ticket that was in collections that suspended your license, the court will not release the hold until payment has been received from the collection agency. This can take 3-5 business days for payments made by credit/debit or 10 business days for payments made by check.The only way to expedite the process is to physically go to the collection agency, get an adjudication slip, and bring it to the court. The process is not expedited by calling the court.
  • Please be advised the court does not notify out of state Department of Licensing/Department of Motor Vehicles as your WA driving record is property of WA Department of Licensing, not the court.

My car was impounded by Lakewood Police. How do I get it out?

  • The Municipal Court does not handle car impounds. Impounds are addressed through the Police Department (253) 830-5070 and Lakewood City Hall main reception desk (253) 589-2489. The length of the impound hold depends on the driver’s driving record (number of prior convictions that the driver may have had in the last five years) and the current charge.
    • Arrested for DUI = 12 hour hold
    • Number of suspended 3rd convictions during the past five years:
      • No previous DWLS 3rd = no mandatory hold;
      • 1 previous DWLS 3rd = 30 day hold
      • 2 or more  previous DWLS 3rd = 60 day hold
    • Number of suspended 1st or 2nd convictions in the past five years:
      • No previous DWLS 1st or 2nd = 30 day hold
      • 1 or more previous DWLS 1st or 2nd = 60 day hold
  • The first step is to get a release form at the Lakewood Police Department . The vehicle can only be released to the registered or legal owner. The registered owner may request another person redeem the car but the owner must be present. The person redeeming the vehicle must have a valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance. Next the owner must pay $100 administrative fee at the City Hall main reception desk (not the Municipal Court) and will then receive a form authorizing the release of the vehicle. Finally, before the vehicle is released all impound and storage fees must be paid. Questions can be directed to (253) 830-5070.

How do I make a payment on a fine?

Can I get on a payment plan?

What is your collection agency?

  • If your account was sent to collections, you will need to contact the court to verify which agency has the account.   

    Alliance One can be reached at (800) 456-8838. If your driving license is suspended for unpaid fines ask if you qualify for the PIA (relicensing) program.

    Dynamic Collectors can be reached at (800) 464-3457. If your driving license is suspended for unpaid fines ask if you qualify for a relicensing program.

Can I view my photo ticket online?

  • Yes, just go to Photo Notice and enter city code = LAKEWD.

Does a photo ticket go on my driving record?

  • No, photo enforcement tickets for red light and school zone violations are NOT reported to Department of Licensing and will not become a part of your driving record.

What is Veterans Court?

WHO: Our Veterans Treatment Court serves the cities of Lakewood, University Place, Steilacoom and DuPont. Veterans’ Court is for anyone who has served in the armed forces who has an open criminal charge with a nexus to a service connected disability. The veteran also has to meet the requirements of eligibility as a candidate per RCW 2.30.030.

WHAT: Veterans Treatment Court is an optional program that is a collaboration of numerous agencies: the Court, The Veterans Administration (VA), Defense Counsel, The Prosecutor’s Office, Probation and many other community partners. These agencies, working together, have established a viable option for a select group of justice-involved Veterans whose needs are better met through treatment intervention rather than incarceration. Veterans Treatment Court is a program that requires participants to live clean and sober while attending treatment and court regularly. 

The mission of the Lakewood Municipal Veterans Treatment Court is to work collaboratively with community partners and resources to help Veterans reintegrate back into our community more effectively by connecting them with the services they have earned.

The Goal of the Veterans Treatment Court is:

  • Increase community/public safety and awareness.

  • Reduce participant contacts with the criminal justice system.

  • Reduce costs associated with the criminal case processing and re-arrest.

  • Introduce participants to an ongoing process of recovery designed to help them become stable, substance-free and employed, utilizing treatment resources through the VA or other community agencies to address the individual issued throughout the Veterans Treatment Court process.

WHEN: Veterans Court is a 12 month program where veterans enter a Stipulated Order of Continuance with conditions and if all the conditions are met then the charges are ultimately dismissed upon successful completion. Veterans Court is held on Wednesdays at 2pm. Veterans Court can be held as often as bi-weekly and each veteran on the calendar is expected to stay for the entire calendar. The reason for remaining in the courtroom for the entire calendar is because veterans can hear what is going on with fellow veterans and offer support in situations they may have dealt with themselves.

WHERE: Veterans Court is held at Lakewood City Hall at 6000 Main Street SW, Lakewood, WA 98499 on Wednesday beginning at 2pm. The exact Wednesday of veterans’ court varies each month based on other court calendars. 

WHY: Veterans Courts have been shown to reduce recidivism and help participants make life style changes that have a lasting impact on more than just the veteran. Through the program, participants are required to do volunteer work within the community. By doing volunteer work, veteran participants make community connections that they may not otherwise make and those connections help build a bond between the veteran participant and the community. 

HOW: If you are a veteran who meets the criteria and would like to get additional information please contact your attorney to get the process started. The process starts with a defense attorney advising the court that they would like to pursue Veterans’ Court. Once the court is aware of Veterans’ Court as an option, the prosecutor gives tentative approval pending a risk assessment/ pre-sentence interview with probation. The veteran also needs to connect with the local Veterans Justice Outreach Coordinator (VJO) at American Lake to establish their eligibility for VA services. Once all the appointment have been handled the court requires potential participants to view a Veteran’s Court prior to entry. 

DEFENSE ATTORNEYS: If you have a client who is interested in veterans’ court, please note that once they have entered the Veteran’s Court Contract the Veteran’s Court Defense Attorney, employed by the public defenders’ office, is available to appear with the client at all mandatory monthly court appearances. For additional information please contact Horwath Law at (253) 426-1784

How do I get help for Domestic Violence?

Where can I get a copy of my police report?

How do I obtain court records? How much does it cost?

How do I vacate a conviction or delete criminal history?

How do I appeal the Judge’s ruling?

  • You must file an appeal within 30-days of the Judge’s decision. The Appeal Packet will have instructions. Please note that court personnel cannot provide legal advice so you may wish to speak with an attorney.  For criminal appeals, consult your attorney.

What is an infraction?

  • Infractions are non-criminal violations of the law and include violations such as speeding, parking, watercraft violations, code violations and animal complaints. Previously, many traffic and criminal violations were considered crimes, but in 1981 Washington joined a number of states in decriminalizing minor offenses which resulted in a major change in the way courts of limited jurisdiction deal with those offenses. Now, many traffic, parks, wildlife and fisheries offenses are civil infractions.

What is a misdemeanor vs. a gross misdemeanor?

  • In general, gross misdemeanors are offenses punishable by up to 364 days in jail and misdemeanors are those offenses punishable by up to 90 days in jail. A fine may also be imposed. A fine for a gross misdemeanor may not exceed $5,000 and $1,000 for a misdemeanor.

How can I view the local court rules?

How can I view the Municipal Codes?

Lakewood Municipal Code

University Place Municipal Code

Steilacoom Municipal Code

DuPont Municipal Code

Where can I get a marriage license?

  • Marriage licenses are not issued at the Municipal Court. You will need to go to the Pierce County Annex .