IF YOU WILL BE SEEKING A COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY YOU WILL NEED TO BRING ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Verification of your income (last 30 days), recent unemployment compensation or denial letter, or recent retirement/disability pay. If you are currently unemployed, bring a copy of your tax return from last year.
- Proof of all current public assistance that you receive (award letter, check stub, medical coupon for GAU only, etc.). Food Stamp Card/EBT card is NOT sufficient.
- If your expenses exceed your income, provide a written explanation on how you survive.
- Handwritten support statement, if you are living with someone and you are not contributing to the basic household expenses. Statement must include the full name, address, and telephone number of the person signing the statement and an itemized list of support provided. You may obtain Statement of Support form from the Court. The statement is a declaration under penalty of perjury.
- If you are self-employed, bring in your tax statements, business ledger, reported sales tax, bank statements (last 60 days), and your business license.
Public Defender Indigency Screening Form to be filed in person at court - bring neccessary documents listed above.
- Public Defender - Horwath Law (253) 426-1784
- Current Conflict Public Defender (253) 588-4006
- Previous Conflict Public Defender - J&S Law (253) 272-4575
- Lawyer Referral (253) 383-3432
- Tacoma Bar Association (253) 383-3432
- Volunteer Legal Services (253) 572-5134