July 27, 2012
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Emergency management training: Several City staff attended a three-day Emergency Operation Center training provided by FEMA. Many community partners, including West Pierce Fire, St. Clare Hospital, TPC Health Department and JBLM, also attended. It is vital that this community wide support is in place when and if a major event occurs.
- Paving Murray Road and 150th Street: Crews will be paving 150th Street between Spring Street and Murray Road on Thursday, August 2nd. Murray Road between the JBLM Logistics Gate and I-5 will be paved on the night of Friday, August 3rd starting at 7:30pm and is expected to go into early Saturday morning. Delays in the vicinity of the Throne Lane Interchange at I-5 are expected both nights as crews prepare and complete the work. Construction within the corridor is expected to be completed in August.
- City activates new traffic signal: The Public Works Department activated a new (replacement) traffic signal at the intersection of Gravelly Lake Dr and 100th St this week. The new signal has many safety improvements including audible pedestrian push buttons, Braille pedestrian signage, countdown pedestrian heads, flashing yellow left turn arrows, signal head back plates with reflective tape and internally illuminated street name signs. The contractor will construct new ADA crosswalk ramps within the next few weeks.
- Awesome Artful Antics Camp: Last week campers enjoyed an art-filled week learning about many different mediums of self-expression including music, dance, drawing, painting and theatre. They visited Lakewold Gardens, the Tacoma Art Museum and the Museum of Glass. The campers finished off the week with a talent show and art showcase.
- Camp Create: Over 50 campers enjoyed fun games, crazy crafts and a virtual safari at the City of Lakewood's $5/day Day Camp. Last week’s theme was "Silly Safari" and the campers, counselors and volunteers had a good time. This next week’s theme is "All the Places You’ll Go". Campers will play games, make crafts and enjoy activities all based off the wonderful world of Dr. Suess.