?option=com_content&view=article&id=1446

CAUTION: Toxic Algae present at Steilacoom Lake

Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department wants you to know there is a toxic algae bloom in Steilacoom Lake. The lake is unsafe for people and pets.

  • Keep children and pets away from areas with algae
  • Do not swim, wade, water ski, or fish in with algae

You can easily identify a toxic algae bloom because of its unusual color or appearance in the water. Usually a bloom makes the lake surface look like pea soup or green paint, but sometimes the bloom may be a different color. Wind and rain can greatly change the amount and location of algae in the lake.

Swallowing lake water containing algae or prolonged skin contact with the algae may result in illness, such as muscle weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or nausea. Anyone who swallows water containing large amounts of algae should seek immediate medical attention.

The risk to pets is much greater than the risk to people. Pets have smaller body sizes and are more likely to drink water containing a heavy concentration of algae. If a pet ingests a large amount of algae and is showing signs such as vomiting, lethargy, disorientation, or seizures, take it to a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Runoff from fertilizers, animal and human waste reach our lakes and contribute to algae growth. Reducing use of fertilizers, properly maintaining septic systems, and properly disposing of pet waste helps improve water quality in lakes, streams, groundwater, and Puget Sound.

For more information, please contact Ray Hanowell at (253) 798-2845 ( ), or Lindsay Tuttle at (253) 798-3530 ( ), or visit our website at www.tpchd.org/toxicalgae .