Category: Press Releases
Published on Thursday, 03 April 2014 11:39
Park Appreciation Day has been celebrated in Lakewood for 13 years. The improvements and beautification projects completed by volunteers during this annual event are too numerous to list, but they have all made a difference in our community’s parks. We count on volunteers and their support each year to prepare Lakewood’s parks for the spring/summer season..
The 2014 sites set for City of Lakewood Park Appreciation Day projects on Saturday, April 26, are:
- Fort Steilacoom Park — the major project is pulling scotch broom! This is not particularly fun or exciting project, but it is really crucial this year to prepare for the 2015 US Open Golf Tournament and we need more volunteers than ever before to help us remove this invasive plant.
- Also at the FSP site, a group of volunteers will be tasked to help with restoration of historic cemetery grave markers and cemetery clean –up. The playground is receiving repairs and will need volunteers to help wrap up the project on Saturday.
- American Lake Park – the West Pierce Fire and Rescue Dive Team will clean up the swimming area, and volunteers will help remove the underwater materials collected by the crew.
- General clean up of the American Lake Park beachfront sand will coordinate with the water clean-up.
- Wards Lake Park – trail maintenance and sign installation.
If a community/church group is interested in a specific park site and can provide the numbers of volunteers adequate to take on a project, the City’s Parks and Recreation Department will coordinate with them directly to develop site specific projects to spread chips under playground equipment. The City will provide the chips and some gardening tools for these groups. Firm commitment by volunteers would be necessary for these individual group projects.
Join us on Saturday, April 26, 2014, at 9:00 am. To register your family, service organization or your school or church groups, please call Suzi at 253‐983‐7758. We’ll find a spot for you and will appreciate your help.