February 10, 2012
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Suicide Prevention Public Service Campaign: Ass’t Chief Mike Zaro worked in conjunction with Greater Lakes Mental Health and Optum Health to produce a public service campaign aimed at suicide prevention. There are three billboards and multiple bus shelters in the region with the message. Police departments are increasing faced with the issue of “officer assisted suicide” or “suicide by cop”; this campaign is a small effort intended to prevent those situations.
- Governor Glendening speaks to PCRC Annual General Assembly: Several councilmembers and key staff attended the annual Pierce County Regional Council/s general assembly on February 9th in Fife, with about 170 representatives from the local government entities throughout the County. Parris Glendening, former Governor of Maryland for two terms, and currently the President of Smart Growth America’s Leadership Institute, was the guest speaker His focus was on the changing demographics in communities throughout the nation, and the changing dynamics of community development.
- Bridgeport Way/ Flanagan Rock Wall Construction: Beginning February 15th, the City will start construction of rock walls along Bridgeport Way in the southbound direction, between Flannegan Road and the north Wal-Mart entrance. This work will occur between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; temporary lane closures may be in effect. This work is being done in preparation for future widening of Bridgeport Way to accommodate sidewalks and bike lanes.
- Kendrick Street Watermain Replacement: The Lakewood Water District will begin water main replacement on Kendrick Street between the RR tracks and 111th Street on February 14th. Work should take 2-3 weeks and will require temporary lane closures during the day. This work is in preparation for the roadway improvements associated with the Lakewood Connection Project which will start construction in Spring/Summer 2012.
- Oakbrook Golf & Country Club: Senior city staff met with the new owners of Oakbrook on February 8th to discuss their plans for operation and the upcoming grand opening of new restaurant services for the general public.