October 5, 2012
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Sounder Train Ceremony and Service: Sound Transit invites the public to participate in a three-station celebration Saturday, Oct. 6 as it launches Sounder train service to Lakewood and South Tacoma. The Lakewood event will last from 10:30am to 4pm at Lakewood Station, 11424 Pacific Highway. Sound Transit will provide free train rides and other family-friendly activities. The City’s Public Works Department will be on hand to educate the public about the pedestrian bridge currently under construction and projected to open toward the end of 2012. Commuter service starts Monday, Oct. 8 . For more information including Saturday train ride schedules, please visit: http://www.soundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/News-and-events/Calendar/Lakewood-Launch-Celebration-10-6-12.xml .
- October 8th Study Session Cancelled: Lakewood City Hall is open for business on Columbus Day (Monday, October 8). However, that evening’s Council Study Session has been cancelled due to scheduling complications with the guest presenter.
- Youth Celebration at City Hall: From 6-7pm, Monday, October 15, the City, its Youth Council, and Lakewood’s Promise will host a “Youth Celebration” to commemorate the City’s recognition as one of “100 Best Communities for Young People.” Mr. Jordan LaPier from America’s Promise will present this award to the City. The Youth Council will challenge young people, community groups, and families to engage in volunteer service. The City will provide refreshments and the public is encouraged to attend.
- Transportation Coordinating Committee recommends PCRC funding: The Transportation Coordinating Committee (TCC) of the Pierce County Regional Council (PCRC) met on Oct 4th to recommend a project funding list. The PCRC must determine how to allocate an additional $2,585,596 in federal transportation grant funds. The TCC selected projects based on a previously approved contingency list. With PCRC’s concurrence, Lakewood would receive an additional $100,000 required to complete the $750,000 Traffic Signal Upgrade-ITS-Phase IV project. PCRC is scheduled to take action on TCC’s recommendations on October 18th.
- Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA) Patching – next week: City contractor, Asphalt Patch, will complete major hot-mix asphalt (HMA) patching during the week of October 8th during day-time hours. Most notable locations include Lakewood Drive (Flett Creek to 74th); Pacific Highway at 108th; and Gravelly Lake Drive near Country Club Drive. Temporary lane closures will be in effect during these projects.
- HR Director attends Washington Public Employers Labor Relations Association (WAPELRA) Conference: HR Director Debra Young attended the annual Washington Public Employers Labor Relations Association (WAPELRA) conference. WAPELRA presented a wide variety of topics such as recent PERC decisions, social media, investigations, and health care reform.