March 22, 2013
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Heidi Wachter, Interim City Manager
- Council Priority: Maintain and enhance public safety
- Cyber Security and Internet Identity Forum: The City of Lakewood partnered with Pierce County to present a half day Cyber Security and Identity Theft forum on March 20th at City Hall. Mayor Don Anderson welcomed a crowd of 100 participants from all over the Puget Sound. Attendees learned about existing and potential new threats, where and how information is being accessed, how to better protect themselves and their employees from being a target, and what steps may be taken now to minimize their risk of an attack and ensure the safety of personal information. Speakers from the Secretary of State Office of Corporations and Charities; U.S. Secret Service, Electronic Crimes Task Force; U.S. Attorney’s Office; Internet Identity; Symantec Corporation; Consumer Protection Division, WA Attorney General’s Office; and local BizTech Talk Radio Host addressed the crowd.
- Council Priority: Protect the capital investment in the transportation system through adequate maintenance and preservation of facilities
- JBLM Road Construction Project Closes Perimeter Road to Civilian Vehicle Traffic: Perimeter Road, which runs through Joint Base Lewis McChord and connects Spanaway and Woodbrook, will be closed from April 1st to about May 31st for maintenance. During that time, paved shoulders will be added, roadway cracks and potholes repaired, and the road surface repaved. Road work may take longer depending on weather conditions. Signs indicating closures and detours will be in place to alert drivers. The map below provides additional details on road closure. For additional information, the public should contact the JBLM Public Affairs Office at (253) 967-0152 or (253) 967-0148.
- Update on Sound Transit’s commuter train layover project : The paving night work on 100th St and on Steilacoom Blvd near Lakeview Ave which was originally scheduled for March 18th through March 20th got rescheduled due to weather to Tuesday March 26th and Wednesday March 27th. The Contractor, Pease Construction, will be overlaying the two 100th St westbound lanes on the 26th and then on the 27th they will grind out and overlaying all 5 lanes on Steilacoom Blvd SW. Naturally this new schedule can change again depending on the weather.
- Other items of interest:
- Alice Bush, named “Clerk of the Year”: City Clerk Alice Bush received the prestigious title of “Clerk of the Year” from the Washington Municipal Clerks Association (WMCA). She was presented with the award at the groups’ annual banquet held Thursday, March 21st at the Hotel Murano in Tacoma. Mrs. Bush was nominated by Doris Sorum from the City of Tacoma. Councilmember Mike Brandstetter spoke in appreciation of Alice’s service to the City. Councilmember Marie Barth, Interim City Manager Heidi Wachter and Administrative Assistant Tes Ongoco were also in attendance.
- Economic Development:
- City Employees Receive EDFP Certification: On March 13th, Grants Program Manager Jeff Gumm and Economic Development Specialist Becky Newton received Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification from the National Development Council (NDC). EDFP Certification is a professional credential given to individuals who successfully complete NDC’s intensive economic development finance training series on business credit analysis, real estate financing, loan packaging, deal structuring, and implementation of development programs.
- Oakbrook Grand Reopening Event: Interim City Manager Heidi Wachter, Assistant City Manager/Development David Bugher and economic development staff attended the Lakewood Chamber ribbon cutting for RMG at Oakbrook’s grand reopening this week. Ms. Wachter addressed the club thanking them for their contribution to the community and commending them on the fantastic transformation of the clubhouse restaurant, meeting rooms, golf course and amenities. She said, “In my ten years at the city, I have never seen the club look so good.” It was a gala event with about 60 attendees. Congratulations to RMG at Oakbrook!