May 17, 2013
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Heidi Wachter, Interim City Manager
- Upcoming Events: Saturday, May 18
- Lakewood Community Clean Up & International Festival: This is a final reminder about two key community events tomorrow: the citywide litter clean up (registration from 9-10am at City Hall; cleanup until noon) and the Lakewood International Festival (11am-5:30pm at Pierce College). For more information on these events, please visit https://www.facebook.com/letsklb and www.lsca.us .
- Council Priority: Maintain and enhance public safety
- CSRT Coordinates Clean-Up of Blighted Home : Working on tips from the Lake City Neighborhood Association, the City’s Community Safety and Resources Team (CSRT) took the proper steps to clean up a neighborhood eyesore. The owners of the property had abandoned the home (located near the intersection of Washington Blvd and 83rd Ave). Transients had illegally occupied the home and had added to overflowing trash and filth, which permeated the property. As with many abandoned homes, a bank took ownership of this property. The bank cooperated with CSRT’s outreach efforts and hired a contractor to clean the site.
- City Hosts Emergency Management “Round Table” Exercise: On May 16, staff from the City of Lakewood joined Clover Park High School, West Pierce Fire & Rescue, and Saint Clare Hospital staff in an emergency management exercise at the Lakewood Police Department’s training room. About twenty people participated in the exercise, which revolved a fictitious incident requiring a breadth of emergency management command, planning, logistics, and operational expertise. This exercise was a prelude to a larger scale exercise scheduled in September at Lakewood City Hall that will include additional agencies.