February 28, 2014
Weekly INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: John J. Caulfield, City Manager
Topics of Interest and Updates
Seahawks Jermaine Kearse to Visit Lakewood Verizon Wireless Store on Tuesday
WHAT: Remodeled, Expanded Verizon Smart Store Grand Opening featuring autographs and photos with Seahawk Jermaine Kearse.
WHEN: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 from 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
WHERE: Verizon Wireless Lakewood Store
5700 100th Street SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
Volunteers At Work!
Eight members of the Puget Sound Model Boat Club spent four hours on Saturday, February 22, 2014, working on a paver project at Waughop Lake in Fort Steilacoom Park. This boating group has led the effort to make improvements at this park site previously, and for this current project, members used 28 60# bags of concrete mix, rebar and eight (8) yards of gravel to create seven (7) pavers. The Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department is pleased to recognize their contribution to the FSP Waughop Lake entry area. The Department also works with other organizations throughout the year to complete park improvement projects. The volunteer support has great value and makes a significant difference in the appearance of our park facilities.
City Clerk to serve on AWC Center for Quality Communities Scholarship Committee
City Clerk Alice Bush has been chosen to serve on the Association of Washington Cities Center for Quality Communities Committee to select the 2014 quality community youth scholarship winners. AWC Center for Quality Communities promotes municipal leadership development and civic engagement. The Center’s goal is to help citizens understand the important role their cities and towns play in Washington and is a 501(c) (3) organization. The Center for Quality Communities Scholarship supports senior high school students who are actively engaged with their community and/or city government and want to pursue post-secondary education. The scholarship fund is supported by people who are passionate about cultivating Washington’s future local leaders.
For more information on AWC Center for Quality Communities, please visit http://www.cfqc.org/
The City Council will be holding a regular meeting on Monday, March 3, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Youth Council Report
- Proclamation Classified School Employees week
- Clover Park School District Report
- Appoint a member to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
- Adopt Legacy Plan (tentative)
- Approve an agreement RE: US Open parking at Ft. Steilacoom park
- Approve a public defender contract
- Approve computer replacement recommendations
- Ordinance 579 relative to Chapter 8.76 of the Lakewood Municipal Code regarding parks
The City Council will be holding a study session on Monday, March 10, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Review of FY 2014 CDBG & HOME funding recommendations
- Review of 2014 South Sound Military Community Partnership Work Plan
- Review of Joint Land Use Study contract
- Review of 3-Yr HOME Consortium agreement with City of Tacoma
- Review of HOME loan agreement with Claude Remy regarding Gravelly Lake Apts.