July 18, 2014
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: John J. Caulfield, City Manager
Topics of Interest and Updates
City, DOC Help Clean Lake City Home
With the help of work crews from the state Department of Corrections, the City is working to clean up a blighted and neglected home in the Lake City neighborhood.
According to Lt. Dave Guttu with the Lakewood Community Safety Resource Team, this home has been a problem for years. A stop-work order was issued for the previous homeowner. After it was eventually taken over by a bank, the unoccupied, single-family home became a source of theft, dumping and other issues.
To read the whole story, visit http://goo.gl/mLh0zp .
Speed Radar Trailer
The City of Lakewood's speed radar trailer program seems to be as effective as ever, which is making Lakewood's streets safer for drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists.
After introducing the radar trailer program on Onyx Drive Southwest in June, the City placed it in the 8200 block of Zircon Drive.
The results? Find out here: http://goo.gl/zjUJni .
Public Meeting On Waughop Lake Pathway
Attention Fort Steilacoom Park users: Do you want to hear about the future of the pathway around Waughop Lake?
The City of Lakewood’s Parks and Recreation Advisory Board will hold a public meeting at 6 p.m., Tuesday, July 22 at Fort Steilacoom Park to discuss improvements to the path.
The park is located at 8714 87th Ave SW in Lakewood.
The meeting will take place near the entrance to Waughop Lake from the park’s main gravel lot. Be sure to bring your own chair. For more information, visit http://goo.gl/jSJFdu .
Human Services Funding
The City of Lakewood is accepting proposals from social, health and human services organizations. Applicants must be a non-profit human services agency or public entity serving Lakewood residents. All funding proposals must address a City identified human services need. The funds will support services starting January 1, 2015 and lasting through December 31, 2015. The application deadline is Monday, August 18, 2014
The 2015 Human Services Funding Applicant Meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:00 – 4:30 p.m. at Lakewood City Council Chambers, 6000 Main Street SW, Lakewood, WA 98499. All interested applicants are encouraged to attend.
For the application form and instructions, visit http://goo.gl/3R3AZN .
West Pierce Fire & Rescue Back To School Drive
West Pierce Fire & Rescue is collecting school supplies to help local students. Donations can be made at Station 31 (3631 Drexler Drive West) or Station 20 (10928 Pacific Hwy SW) until noon, Aug. 20
Supplies that are needed:
- 3 Ring Binders/Dividers
- No. 2 Pencils
- Crayons (24 count)
- Colored Pencils
- Bottles of Glue & Glue Sticks
- Wide/College Rule Spiral Notebooks
- Wide/College Rule Paper
- Pink Erasers
- Boxes of Kleenex (100 plus count)
- Folders with inside pockets
Students in need of supplies can attend the FREE Back to School event on Aug. 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at City of Faith Christian Center, 11011 Occident Avenue SW, Lakewood, WA.
Vintage Hydroplane at American Lake
On Thursday, July 17, a vintage hydroplane that was once driven by a legend in the sport tested the waters at American Lake Park.
For the first time in more than three decades, the team behind the classic, refurbished Atlas Van Lines hydroplane put the craft in the water in Lakewood. The craft used the original hull that has not been seen on the water since 1981, when legendary racer Bill Muncey died while racing in Mexico.
The hydroplane is scheduled to compete in a vintage hydroplane race at SeaFair 2014.
Check out our YouTube video of the day’s excitement: http://youtu.be/hQ4kxUOJUk8 .
Primary Election Information
On August 5, 2014, Pierce County will join with the rest of Washington State in voting in the 2014 primary election. The Pierce County Auditor's office has published an election information and results schedule that details what's on the ballot, what special elections are taking place, how to vote, where to vote, when we'll know the results, and a number of other frequently asked questions.
To access the 2014 Primary Election Information and Results Schedule, visit http://goo.gl/PSaHVy .
Parks, Recreation and Community Services
SummerFEST 2014: ‘Another Success’
Another beautiful, hot day. Another Lakewood SummerFEST in the books.
On July 12, the City of Lakewood held its annual summer festival amid sunny skies and temperatures in the 90's at Fort Steilacoom Park. Here are some highlights:
- The third annual SummerFEST Triathlon was a huge success with its largest participation to date: 176 triathletes
- More than 700 kids made their way to our inflatable Kidz Zone area
- Festival guests wandered through 117 vendor public market spaces
- Attendees also enjoyed delicious fair food and drank plenty of bottled water
- The misting station was a big hit, and everyone tried to find some prime real estate in the many shady spots throughout the park.
SummerFEST 2014 was another success for the City of Lakewood, according to Parks, Recreation and Community Services Director Mary Dodsworth.
"Kudos to the Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Department for leading the effort," she said. "We couldn’t have done it without the support of our Police Department, CSRT, West Pierce Fire and Rescue, Partners for Parks and countless others for helping us host another fabulous City event!"
To view a video from SummerFEST 2014, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjgQTiv1mPY .
The City Council will be holding a regular meeting on Monday, July 21, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- State of the Library - Ms. Neel Parikh
- Appoint members to Public Safety Advisory Committee
- Appoint member to the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
- Adopt amendments to City Funds code
- Approval of Six Year TIP
- Expressing intent to utilize a WA Department of Commerce grant and apply for WA State Treasurer’s Local Option Capital Asset lending program for LED streetlighting
- Bid award for 2014 hot mix asphalt patching
- Bid award for the Outfall Water Quality Retrofit project
- South Sound 911 proposed interlocal agreement amendment (Briefing by the City Manager)
The Transportation Benefit District Board will be holding a meeting following the Council regular meeting on Monday, July 21, 2014, in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Setting Monday, August 25, 2014, as the date for a public hearing on a proposed $20 annual vehicle license fee and various transportation street improvement projects
The City Council will be holding a study session on Monday, July 28, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Joint Redevelopment Advisory Board meeting
- Review of Shoreline Master Plan
- Review of subdivision code amendments
- Review of communal housing regulations