January 14, 2011
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Governor to Attend City's Martin Luther King Celebration January 15th: The Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration has been set for Saturday, January 15, 2011. The multi-ethnic celebration will be held at the McGavick Conference Center at Clover Park Technical College from 10 am to noon. Please join Mayor Doug Richardson and Governor Chris Gregoire in honoring Dr. King's legacy of freedom.
Community Development Department will hold public meetings on draft Shoreline Master Plan: The Community Development Department will conduct two public meetings to introduce and discuss the draft Shoreline Master Program. The scheduled dates of the meetings are listed below:
January 20, 2011
City of Lakewood Council Chambers
6000 Main St SW
Lakewood, WA. 98499
5:30 PM to 8:30 PM
January 27, 2011
Clover Park High School
Performing Arts Center
11023 Gravelly Lake Dr SW
Lakewood, WA. 98499
5:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- January 20, 2011
- Sound Transit Update on January 25th: On Tuesday, January 25th from 4-7pm, Sound Transit staff will conduct an open house at Lakewood's Boys and Girls Club. Sound Transit is soliciting input for potential upgrades to future service that could include increasing parking, making bicycle and pedestrian improvements, expanding or creating passenger drop-off areas, making transit speed and reliability improvements, and/or providing additional bus transfer facilities at the stations. Learn more or download a flyer at www.cityoflakewood.us under "latest news and events."
- Lakewood Residents receive information on Puget Sound Energy Proposal: A Notice of Application was mailed to 600+ residents this week informing them of a proposal by Puget Sound Energy (PSE) to upgrade existing electric transmission and distribution lines from 55 kV to 115 kV. The proposal also includes removing a portion of an existing system which runs through private properties and constructing a new segment of the electric system within existing public rights-of-ways. This project runs through large sections of the City. The project requires environmental review, issuance of a shoreline substantial development permit, and a conditional use permit. A public hearing before the City's Hearing Examiner will occur on March 2, 2011. Work on this project was initiated by PSE about two years ago. PSE is making a substantial investment to improving service to Lakewood and the region as a whole. Prior to the public hearing, PSE will continue to hold workshops with adjoining property owners.
- Public Works Department to hold Tillicum/Woodbrook Sewer Connections Workshops: The City's Public Works Department will hold two Tillicum/Woodbrook Sewer Connections Workshops. The first workshop will be held on Tuesday, February 1 at the Tillicum/Woodbrook Community Service Center, 14916 Washington Avenue SW, at 6:00 p.m. The second workshop will be held on Wednesday, February 2 at Woodbrook Middle School, 14920 Spring Street SW, beginning at 6:00 p.m. Citizens are encouraged to encouraged to attend. For questions or information, contact Transportation Division Manager Desiree Winkler, City of Lakewood Public Works Department, at (253) 983-7795 or email email@example.com .
- WSDOT and Lakewood Fire Department at Coffee with the Mayor: At this morning's Coffee with the Mayor, Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) High Speed Rail Program Manager Ron Pate and Project Delivery Manager David Smelser provided an update on the proposed Point Defiance Bypass Project and ongoing efforts to complete an Environmental Assessment. They were followed by Lakewood Fire Chief Ken Sharp, who provided information pertaining to the proposed merger of the University Place and Lakewood Fire Departments.