December 18, 2009
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Joint-Base Lewis McChord Growth Coordination Plan: The city manager convened a meeting of key stakeholders on December 10th to form an executive Regional Steering Committee to guide the DoD/OEA-funded (Dept of Defense, Office of Economic Adjustment) planning process for growth at and around the military bases. The group includes the Clover Park School Superintendent, the deputy Pierce County Executive, the director of the Thurston Regional Planning Council, the business and trade manager of the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber of Commerce, the Lakewood city manager, and the executive policy advisor from the Governor’s office. Fort Lewis was represented by the deputy garrison commander. The goal of the integrated work schedule for the project is the completion of a final plan in late 2010, which will serve as the basis for funding requests for capital improvements.
- I Corps and Fort Lewis Holiday Reception and Concert: Deputy Mayor Don Anderson and the city manager and their spouses were guests of Acting Commanding General Jeff Mathis at a reception at Bronson Hall on Fort Lewis on December 16th which included community leaders from a number of cities in the area. It was followed by a holiday concert performed by the 56th Army Band and the Navy Northwest Band. The support of the Navy Band was appreciated since about half of the 56th Army Band is currently deployed in Iraq; however, the deployed army musicians participated by video connection and were loudly applauded by the guests.
- Year-end All Staff employee recognition meeting: The end of the year All Staff meeting on December 16th substituted for the annual employee recognition event. In lieu of awards to individual employees, and the traditional raffle gifts, the management team opted to donate to the fund for the four fallen officers’ families. In place of individual recognition, a slide presentation was shown honoring all departments for the significant accomplishments of 2009.
- Papa John’s Pizza Donation: Papa John’s Pizza representatives donated a check in the amount of $141,855 raised from their two-day donation of all sales for the families of the four Lakewood Police Officers killed in the line of duty two weeks ago.
- City Staff participate in Greater Lakes Adopt-a-Family Program: City staff adopted several individuals through the Greater Lakes Mental Health Adopt-a-Family/Individual program. The adopted individuals live either in a group home or on their own and have no family or anyone else to provide them with a Christmas holiday. All of the items on their wish lists were purchased and delivered.