December 15, 2006
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From:Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Lakewood’s Citizen Corps Council: We recently submitted a request for our existing Emergency Management Council to receive formal designation from Homeland Security as a Citizens Corps Council. Citizens Corps is part of the USA Freedom Corps, and was created after September 11th to inspire and enable all Americans to find ways to serve their communities. This week we learned our request has been approved and we are now the Lakewood Citizens Corps Council (Washington). The new jurisdiction will now be posted on the Citizen Corps website and will be displayed on the Citizen Corps map. This enables us to use their logo and increases our competitiveness for technical assistance and grant funding. The newly re-designated Lakewood Citizens Corps Council supports community emergency preparedness and response activities. Our Council consists of senior representatives from the water district, fire department, hospital, schools and colleges, police and other city staff, schools, the private sector, and volunteers.
- Hopkins House: The Landmarks and Heritage Advisory Board (LHAB) designated the Hopkins House, located on the north shoreline of American Lake, as a Lakewood Landmark on December 7th. This house, built in 1917, is a classic one-and-one half story vernacular craftsman with a rectangular floor plan, bevel siding, and almost all the original wood windows with original glass. The home’s placement on the Lakewood register establishes and honors the property as significant to the history of Lakewood. It entitles the property owner to acquire a Lakewood Historic Register plaque and to apply for special valuation property tax relief commensurate with rehabilitation expenses and any other financial incentives for re-use of historic buildings. The LHAB expects to consider several additional properties for designation in 2007.
- Disabled Parking Enforcement Team at WSH: As of December 13th, eleven Western State Hospital security officers have been approved to issue NOI’s (Notice of Infraction) on Western State Hospital grounds. They have successfully completed the LPD-DPE training and been issued the limited commission that allow them to cite illegal parking there. We have a similar program with Pierce College security.
- Lakewood a Finalist for DOJ Weed and Seed Grant: The City recently learned we are one of 140 finalists nation-wide for a Department of Justice Weed and Seed Grant. The grant could provide up to $150,000 yearly for four years. We were the recipient of a DOJ Weed & Seed grant from 2001 to 2005, which was the primary impetus for programs used to clean up Tillicum, Springbrook and Ponders. If successful, this grant will be used to enhance community policing, crime and blight reduction and economic redevelopment of Police District 3, Southgate, Wards Lake, and the mobile home parks along 96th and South Tacoma Way north of the 512 interchange.
- Police Department Invited to Meet the Secretary of the Army: Because of the strong relationship we have built with our community connection partner at Fort Lewis, the 4th Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division, we were invited to meet the Secretary of the Army when he visited with the unit. Chief Saunders and Sergeant Michael Noel – our Community Policing section supervisor – were introduced to the SecArmy, who was then given a quick overview on the community policing training we are providing their non-commissioned officers, as well the NCO ride-along program we are instituting to patrol Lakewood bars on week-ends.
- Arrest at Lakewood Motel: LPD located a subject at the Ft. Lewis Motel who was wanted by Thurston County for a robbery where the victim was shot. This is regarding the note Officer Wiley put in the log a couple of weeks ago. Patrol Officers confirmed she was inside room #26 and that she had two felony warrants. She also had local warrants. She was taken into custody and booked into Pierce County Jail and the Thurston CO Detective was notified. She had apparently confessed to the crime in his voicemail.