March 2, 2007
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From:Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Asphalt Overlay for Interlaaken Bridge: Public Works is presently out to bid on the 2007 Asphalt Overlay and Patching Program project, which includes the overlay of the Interlaaken bridge deck. This means the route will be temporarily closed to through traffic for about two weeks.
- Pac Highway Project Status: The call for bids for “Pacific Highway SW—Phase 2 will be published on March 6th. Phase 2 includes the street frontage and signal work along the Sounder Station and the Ford dealership sites as well as improvements at the Pac Hwy/Bridgeport Way intersection. This includes improvements northerly along Bridgeport Way to and across the RR tracks.
- LPD Explorers: The Explorers have made LPD proud once again. They attended the Federal Way challenge on Saturday and came home with several awards. They all worked as a team in the Crime Scene investigation portion and won first place. Explorers Smith and Hinkle won first place in the Field Interview portion. Explorer Smith also won first place in the Drill down portion. Explorer Martin won third place in the Physical Agility course. The Explorers also had an awards banquet where Explorer Smith was voted as the Explorer of the Year.
- LPD Traffic Officers teach collision investigation: Lakewood Traffic officers just completed teaching collision investigation to 23 area law enforcement officers. The 40-hour course, sponsored by the State Criminal Justice Training Commission, was held at Pierce Transit’s new training facility in Lakewood. The course included numerous hours of practical application and class work investigating collisions. Officers Prante, Novasky, Gumm, Russell and Sergeant Norton represented the city as instructors. The class was a major success ensuring LPD’s future role as a lead agency for instructing additional advanced collision courses.
- WTSC Speed Emphasis enforcement ended: Lakewood officers wrapped up nearly 700 hours of speed emphasis enforcement in East Pierce County. This project, running from mid-January to mid-February, was funded 100% by the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission and resulted in over 2,000 traffic stops and nearly 1,500 tickets generated for speeding and other infractions to include no insurance, seatbelt violations and driving while revoked. Additional phases of this project are set for later this spring.
- Legal Department Training: Legal Support Specialist David Jones attended a day-long seminar entitled, “Dealing with Difficult People,” this week. Topics included: Essential Communication Skills, Tuning into Body Language, Identifying Personal Communication Styles, Dealing with an Angry Person, and Conflict Resolution Techniques. Victim Advocate Ann-Marie Dvorak attended training on Vicarious Trauma last weekat the Sexual Assault Center of Pierce County. Vicarious Trauma is “the experience of bearing witness to the atrocities committed against another,” and the workshop focused on identifying the signs and symptoms of Vicarious Trauma and presented coping mechanisms, including personal care, professional boundaries and organizational response. Vicarious Trauma experts identify it as an occupational hazard. Ann-Marie also applied for and was admitted into the Washington State Bar Association Rule 6 Program. Under the city attorney’s direct tutorship, she will follow a four year structured law curriculum with prescribed courses. Victim Advocate Rebecca Hendricks attended a conference presented by the King County Sexual Assault Resource Center, which focused on providing information to advocates in the social work/ law enforcement fields on increasingly popular technologies, including MySpace, chat rooms, and on-line gaming, which predators can use to find victims. It is essential for law enforcement, including probation officers, to be knowledgeable in these areas of emerging technology to effectively investigate and monitor sex offenders.
- Robbery suspect apprehended: Officer Latimer responded to the Safeway at the Towne Center for a shoplift. The suspect played the name game and was not forthcoming with any information. Officer Latimer started doing some research on his computer and was able to locate a report out of Puyallup PD from earlier that morning with this suspect also being the suspect in a robbery. Officer Latimer interviewed her and after awhile, she admitted to the robbery. Puyallup PD was contacted and two detectives came out to the station and took custody of the suspect for Robber 1st Degree. She gave the detectives a handwritten confession admitting to the crime. Officer Latimer did an excellent job following through and figuring out the suspect’s identity and locating the information that she was the suspect in the robbery and getting a confession from her!
- Stolen Car Suspect Apprehended: Officer Moody found an occupied stolen vehicle in the area of 74th and STW last week. The vehicle attempted to flee when Officer Moody pulled behind him. A pursuit was then initiated in which the suspect attempted to intentionally ram the officer, and it continued up to Fircrest. Guardian 1 advised they saw a hot tub in the back yard of a house in the area that had the cover displaced. Officers responded to that house and found the suspect completely naked and hiding inside. After 1 ½ hours in the hot tub the suspect was very relaxed and taken in to custody without incident. There was a baggy of meth floating in the hot tub with him. The suspect was taken to the hospital for precautionary measures prior to going to jail for 1st degree Assault for attempting to ram Officer Moody, PSP for the truck, eluding, and UPCS for the meth in the hot tub. He also had a Pierce County warrant for Hit and Run.
- Abatement Update: As a result of the Community Development Department’s emphasis on abatement, the following status report shows nine active cases.
Property Address 3906 Steilacoom Boulevard SW Condition Commercial building vacant and heavily vandalized. Rear wall is collapsing; substantial quantity of asbestos to remove. Status Notice and Order was issued. Property owner applied for demolition permit. Demolition is currently underway.
Property Address 11435 Pacific Highway SW Condition Former Lakewood Court Mobile Home Park. Park contained nine abandoned mobile homes and two dilapidated buildings. Large amounts of garbage, and junk found onsite. Property has been vandalized. Status Notice and Order was issued. Vehicles and junk removed. Most of the mobile homes have been removed.
Property Address 11618 Pacific Highway SW Condition Abandoned auto body shop. Building in deteriorated condition and has been vandalized on numerous occasions. Property contains numerous junk vehicles, junk, trash, extensive weeds and an abandoned pole sign Status Notice and Order issued. City hired a contractor to demolish building and clean site. At the eleventh hour, the owner agreed to clean the property. Work is currently underway.
Property Address 14617 W. Thorne Lane SW Condition Property is unsecured. Property contains a dilapidated/collapsing house and garage. Trees are dangerous. Status Property was abated once already in 2001. A second Notice and Order was issued. Owner is currently obtaining an asbestos report preparatory to issuance of a demolition permit.
Property Address 12907 Naomilawn Drive SW Condition House burned; property owner died Status Notice and Order was issued. Building was secured at no cost to the City. Property is currently in probate.
Property Address 11404 Cloverdale Court SW Condition House destroyed by fire. Status Notice and Order was issued. Property owner obtained demolition permit; site is clean of all debris.
Property Address 95 West Shore Avenue SW Condition Notice and Order was issued. Hoarder house: numerous junk vehicles, extensive junk, trash, weeds, and construction debris. Status Over half the clean up completed by the owner. Owner has also been fined and is currently delinquent. City abatement is likely.
Property Address 6717 100th Street SW Condition Burned out house (owner died in fire). Status Emergency abatement performed to secure structure. Notice and Order issued. Family member has arrived out-of-town to settle estate.
Property Address 6902 146th Street SW Condition Abandoned hoarder house; abandoned vehicles; extensive piles of garbage. Status Notice and order issued. Abatement performed by the City.