January 6, 2006
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Lochburn Middle School Grant Funding List: Clover Park School District (Lochburn Middle School) made the funding list for a $177,000 grant per the State’s Safe Route to School Grant program. The City developed the grant application for the school district. The monies will go for constructing a sidewalk (one side only) on 83rd from Bridgeport Way to Lochburn entrance, installing yellow flashing lights along Steilacoom Blvd approaching Lochburn and for education and outreach on walking/bicycling to school. The prioritized list of projects still needs to be confirmed by the legislature during this upcoming session.
- Regional Mobility Grant Funding List: The City made the funding list for a $2,700,000 grant per the State’s Regional Mobility Grant program. The project submitted was the Commuter Rail Station project including the installation of the three traffic signals and constructing sidewalks along Pacific Highway between the station and Pierce Transit’s park and ride lot. From the grant, Sound Transit will get $2,000,000 to help defray its costs per building the station and the city will get $700,000 to construct the Pacific Highway sidewalk improvements. The prioritized list of projects still needs to be confirmed by the legislature during this upcoming session.
- Computer Buddies: The first session of Computer Buddies at the Lakewood Senior Center took place on January 4th. The Lakewood Senior Center is collaborating with Lakewood Computer Clubhouse to teach older adults computer skills. The youth mentors share their skills and expertise with the older adults. The group meets on the first and third Wednesday of the month from 4:30pm-5:30 PM. Topics range from Computer and email basics to more advanced skills This is one of only a handful of intergenerational computer groups in the country.
- Gang Awareness Training: LPD’s Neighborhood Policing Team(NPO Angel Figueroa and CSO Gail Conelly) conducted two Gang Awareness Training sessions for McChord AFB on December 8th. . The first training session was for the Senior Leadership of the base, to include the Wing Commander. The second training session was for the remainder of the leadership staff – with special attention to parents of middle school and high school aged children. Approximately 65 people were in attendance between the two sessions.
- Raising the Bar Training: Police Officer Austin Lee, in partnership with State Liquor Control Board (LCB), trained 13 Bowlero Lanes employees on “Raising the Bar” on December 30th. Raising the Bar is a training program, developed by Lakewood Police Department (LPD) and LCB, to educate bar and liquor establishment owners and their employees on how to keep their bars and businesses crime free. This program promotes close partnership between the police and the business owners in Lakewood. LPD’s partnership with Bowlero began after the business became one of the top ten businesses experiencing high volume of police calls for service in the 3rd Quarter of 2005. Bowlero is currently under a crime prevention agreement, which is another documented partnership. The crime prevention agreement allows the owner to recognize and understand the existence of the problems and react appropriately.
- Lakewood Police assists Lakeview Elementary in hosting Partners for a Safer Neighborhood: On January 5th, Lakewood Police Department along with the Fire Department, Safe Streets, Lakewood Boys & Girls Club and the Clover Park School District came together to start forming the partnerships needed to make Lakeview a safer, better community.
- DUI EMPHASIS: Lakewood Police just completed the DUI Drive Hammered Get Nailed campaign from November 26th to January 2nd. The results were as follows:
- The Grant total was for $2100.00, which came out to 38.18 hours
- 5 officers worked for a total of 37.5 hours
- 54 contacts were made, 33 cites/infractions were issued, 8 DUI arrests were made
- We also did a DOT DUI emphasis on 12/16/05
- 2 Officers worked on 12/16/05
- 16 contacts, 4 cites/infractions issued
- 1 DUI arrest made