October 13, 2006
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From:Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Lakewood’s Promise: Mayor Claudia Thomas participated in a conference in Denver this week sponsored by America’s Promise, representing Lakewood as one of the 100 best. She was a speaker and did a presentation to the panel on Municipal and State Action and Leadership: Improving Outcomes for Children and Youth.
- Wal-Mart Court of Appeals Decision: The City of Lakewood and Wal-Mart received a favorable decision from the US Court of Appeals this week. This brings final resolution to all litigation related to this development.
- B & I Gang Presentation: Officers Lee and Figueroa presented a power point on Gangs to 25 B & I businesses and six security officers. Gang member overflow from the Star-Lite on weekends has been a concern.
- WSAMA 2006 Fall Conference: City Attorney Heidi Wachter, Assistant City Attorney Mike McKenzie, and Associate City Attorney Rocio Guerra attended the Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys (WSAMA) 2006 Fall Conference in Spokane last week. Ms. Wachter was the facilitator at a session on Personnel Law and Ms. Guerra was the moderator for the Criminal Law session.
- Trial Preparation Training: Assistant City Attorney Anita Booker-Hay and Paralegal Cynthia Wright completed the final presentation of a two part series to the Lakewood Police Department providing training to the officers on trial preparation techniques.
- Police PTO Academy Training: Officers Porche and Carroll taught the PTO Academy in Tacoma to members of the Tacoma, Lakewood, Puyallup, Milton and Fife Police Departments.
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Ann-Marie Dvorak and Rebecca Hendricks made excellent presentations both to the City Council at their October 2nd meeting and at the All Staff meeting on October 11th regarding Domestic Violence Awareness and accepted a proclamation on behalf of the City declaring October 2006 as Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
- Legal Reference Library: The Legal Department has recently updated the Legal Reference Library. The resources are kept in the Legal Department but are available for other departments to check-out as needed.
- Pierce County Public Hearing on Conservation District Charge: Received notice from the County that they will be holding a public hearing on Oct 31st regarding the reauthorization of the $5 per parcel Conservation District charge. The County originally authorized the fee to be effective over a 3 year period starting January 1st 2004. At the time Lakewood was supportive and reduced its SWM fee the equivalent amount thus zeroing out any financial impact to our residents and businesses. The County’s reauthorization proposal if approved is for a 10 year period and it includes all the prior supportive cities.
- McChord’s Web Site: McChord’s public web site has recently been upgraded to a standardized Air Force format that includes more information and resources and is easier to navigate. Some of the information now available online at “http://public.mcchord.amc.af.mil ” includes: press releases, McChord news and happenings, the weekly Northwest Airlifter, regularly updated base photos, the most recent fiscal year economic influence statement, fact sheets and Space-A travel information and guidelines.