April 21, 2006
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- RFP on Military Base Encroachment Proposal and Annexation: Councilmember Richardson, the city manager and government relations director met with Senator Cantwell’s office this week to discuss the proposed feasibility study related to the military bases. This meeting was the latest in a series of stakeholder contacts, which have included Senator Murray’s office, Congressmen Norm Dicks and Adam Smith, the County Executive, the members of the County Council, and the mayors of Tacoma, Steilacoom, Dupont, and Roy. The RFP calls for proposals due by the end of the month.
- Fort Steilacoom Park Dedication Ceremony: In conjunction with Parks Appreciation Day on Saturday, April 22nd, the ceremony for dedicating the improvements at Ft Steilacoom Park will take place at 1:00pm tomorrow.
- Cross Base Highway Access Hearing: On April 26th at 6:00pm, WSDOTwill conduct an Access Hearing on the Cross-Base Highway Project at Woodbrook Middle School. This is a legal procedure followed by the State for allowing abutting property owners and others the opportunity to provide to property access rights or the lack thereof on to or from the road.
- Cross-Base Highway Grant Application: Cross-Base Highway Connector (GLD to Thorne Ln) project grant application has received PCRC’s concurrence meaning that it is one of a total of six allowed grant applications from Pierce County that will now compete in a potential pool of about 34 grant application projects for a portion of the $53 million of federal grant money that is presently available within PSRC’s 4 county region.
- City Hall Parking Lot: The Public Works Department received construction bids (low bid approx $38,000) for the expansion and resealing of the City Hall parking lot. The expansion would add over 70 parking stalls along the southerly edge of the existing parking lot. The resealing and re-striping of the existing lot would occur on a weekend. Work would begin once the contract documents are executed, subject also to weather conditions.
- LPD Promotion/Commissioning/Award Ceremony: Please join us on April 27th at 2:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers, as the Lakewood Police Department celebrates the promotion of Sgt. Heidi Hoffman to Lieutenant, commissioning CSO’s Courtney Nelson and Cassey Jankowiac, and presenting several awards.
- Lakewood Police Officer receives Award from TPD: On April 27th, Lakewood Police Officer Vince Sivankeo will receive the Law Enforcement Award of Merit from the Tacoma Police Department, due to his attention to detail and follow up of a suspicious vehicle. His outstanding work resulted in recovering the vehicle stolen in a Tacoma burglary and several stolen guns contained in the car, as well as the apprehension of two suspects.
- Springfest at Springbrook Park: The Pacific Neighborhood Association held the 3rd Annual Springfest Egg hunt on April 15th at Springbrook Park. Over 100 kids showed up with parents and hunted for plastic eggs and candy. The Easter Bunny was present and handed out many gifts.