April 28, 2006
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Lakewood Ford: Titus Will Investments announced its new business location on Pacific Highway South across the street from the new Sounder Station for a new car dealership – Lakewood Ford. The business has about 86 employees, and will build a 55,000 square foot dealership at the main site, which is about 6 acres. They also purchased a 3.75 acre site on Pacific Highway at 108th and will open a used car location there. This significant new Lakewood business is scheduled to open in summer of 2007.
- “Responding to BRAC”: The city manager and Councilmember Richardson have been invited to a Department of Defense military service community conference entitled “Responding to BRAC” on May 2-5 in Atlanta. The agenda items include base closure, realignment, federal assistance, and managing growth and redevelopment. The conference is hosted by DoD and participants attend at DoD expense.
- Parks Appreciation Day: A very successful community response to last Saturday’s Parks Appreciation Day was assisted by good weather. About 325 citizens participated.
- Underage Liquor and Cigarette Sales Compliance Checks: The Lakewood Police and the Washington Liquor Board held a Liquor and Cigarette Sales Compliance Detail on April 20th. Thirteen of the stores performed well and made no sale to the decoy minor but one store, the 76 Station at 10712 Bridgeport, made a sale and the clerk was cited and released.
- Gravel Shoulder Bids: The City received bids (low bid approx $21,000) to construct a 5-foot wide gravel shoulder along the Steilacoom Blvd frontage of the lot at NW corner of the Steilacoom Blvd and Ardmore Dr/Custer Rd intersection. Presently the rock wall on the lot extends to the edge of travel lane on Steilacoom Blvd forcing pedestrians to walk in the travel lane to get by the property. The City has received citizen complaints about this being a potential safety hazard issue. Work will begin once the contract has been executed.