November 25, 2011
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Lakewood’s 16th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Festival: Santa Claus is coming to Lakewood! All Lakewood residents are invited to the 16th annual holiday festival Friday, December 2nd, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., at Lakewood City Hall, 6000 Main Street in Lakewood. The Christmas Tree Lighting Festival includes a Kiddie Parade, the lighting of Lakewood’s Christmas tree, free children’s crafts, games, holiday music, refreshments and a visit with Santa. Children and those young at heart are invited to march in the Kiddie Parade and follow Santa to town. This is a great opportunity for day care centers, youth groups and scout troops to kick off the holiday season. Meet near the old GI Joe’s Building (5831 Main Street SW) at 4:15 p.m. Experience the lighting of Lakewood’s Christmas tree at 4:30 p.m. and welcome Santa to town at 4:45 p.m. Participants are encouraged to dress warm and bring non-perishable food items for the Emergency Food Network.
- Woodbrook TIB Grant of $750K awarded to City: The City of Lakewood was notified of award of a State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB) grant for $750,000 for construction of improvements on Murray Road and 150th Street in Woodbrook. In addition to a roundabout at the intersection of Murray Road and 150th (which will improve the intersection’s level of service from “F” to “B”), this project will construct the roadway on Murray Road between 150th and 146th. It will be widened and receive sidewalks on one side, and the roadway on 150th between Murray Road and Spring Street will be widened and receive sidewalks on one side. Construction is scheduled to take place Spring / Summer of 2012.
- Lane Closure on Bridgeport Way at North City Limits: Starting Monday, November 28th, the outside southbound lane of Bridgeport Way between Leach Creek and Flanegan Road will be closed between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. for wall removal and replacement. The work will take place for approximately 3 weeks and will be limited to weekdays. This work is in preparation for the sidewalk improvements to be constructed in spring 2012. Looking ahead: additional wall construction south of Flanegan Road will start in January 2012 -- also requiring a southbound lane closure.
- First official Tillicum sewer connection: On November 10th, Pierce County approved the completed installation of the first sewer connection in Tillicum on Portland Avenue. City and Pierce County staffs are in the process of permit review and support for several more connections in the Tillicum area.
- pre-Thanksgiving Rain Storm response: Public Works is busy responding to several localized flooding / standing water issues throughout the City as a result of the heavy rains. Primary cause is related to leaves clogging storm drains. Public Works appreciates help from citizens to clear debris off the storm drains.