Sign up for weekly news updates .
- Category: Press Releases
- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 16:13
Lakewood’s Inaugural Jingle Bell Rock 5K
Calling all runners and walkers: Santa Claus is coming to Lakewood!
The City of Lakewood is hosting its first ever Jingle Bell Rock 5K . Join the fun 9am, Saturday, December 8 at Lakewood City Hall (6000 Main Street SW) and take part in this 5K Fun Run-Walk. The course begins and ends near the roundabout in front of Lakewood City Hall and is great for all members of the family including the furry ones.
Stay after for a rockin’ after party that will include refreshments, music, crafts and fun for the kiddos. Dress for the weather, this 5K will run – rain or shine!
Contact Lakewood Parks, Recreation and Community Services at (253) 983-7887 or visit us online at www.lakewoodparksandrec.com for more information and to register.
- Category: Press Releases
- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 15:58
Lakewood’s 17th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Festival
Santa Claus is coming to Lakewood!
All Lakewood residents are invited to the 17th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Festival Friday, December 7, 4-7p.m. at Lakewood City Hall, 6000 Main Street. The festival includes a Kiddie Parade, the Lakewood Christmas tree lighting, free children’s crafts, holiday music, refreshments and a visit with Santa.
Children and those young at heart are invited to march in the Kiddie Parade and follow Santa to town. This is a great opportunity for day care centers, youth groups and scout troops to kick off the holiday season. Meet near the old GI Joe’s Building (5831 Main Street SW – across the street from City Hall) at 4:15pm.
Participants are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items for the Emergency Food Network. Please dress warm and join us for this fun holiday tradition. For more information, contact Lakewood Parks, Recreation and Community Services at (253) 983-7887 or visit www.lakewoodparksandrec.com .
- Category: Weekly Info Bulletins
- Published on Friday, 16 November 2012 14:40
November 16, 2012
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Public Works supports Lakewood Area Shelter Association (LASA): The Public Works Department held a food drive to benefit homeless families supported by the Lakewood Area Shelter Association. There was an outpouring of support from staff, with the drive collecting enough food to create 60 Thanksgiving holiday dinner baskets during the three-week event.
- Lakewood Officers’ charitable event at the Old Country Buffet: The Lakewood Officers Charity held its 4th Annual Holiday event at the Old Country Buffet. School counselors from Tillicum, Lakeview Hope Academy, South Gate, South Gate Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP), Oakwood, and Tyee Elementary attended and visited with the families they nominated for this event. All of the families are either struggling financially, or facing uncertain medical diagnoses. The event kicked off at 7pm with over 100 participants. Ham and turkey were donated by the Lakewood Officers Charity; the restaurant donated their staff time and home-style cooking. Several uniformed Lakewood police officers handed out stickers and coloring books.
- Workforce Central strategic planning meeting: City staff attended the Pierce County Regional Community Leaders meeting on November 16th, the first of several meetings to be held over the next four months to identify regional priorities and strategies to increase resources for our region. Process, priorities and outcomes were identified. The meeting was hosted by Workforce Central. Upcoming topics will include community development, economic development, and workforce priorities, as well as K-12 and higher education priorities.
- CSRT, Police and volunteers clean up house in Lake City: CSRT received neighbor complaints about a house in Lake City that was overgrown with vegetation and had been burglarized. CSRT investigated and found that the elderly person who owned the house lived out of state, was in poor health and unable to travel, and did not have the financial resources to bring the property into compliance. When Officer Peter Johnson became aware of the situation, he gathered a group of volunteers and neighbors who donated many hours to clean up the property, not only improving the neighborhood, but making it less attractive for criminal activity.
- Swap meet code enforcement: Lakewood is currently home to one large regional swap meet. Recently, other property owners have expressed an interest in opening new swap meets. Management issues and substantial growth in the business of the Starlite Swap Meet, since the 2004 closure of the Midway Swap Meet, have resulted in excessive impacts on the community and City resources, required extensive law and code enforcement efforts, and revealed the need for changes to Lakewood’s swap meet regulations. The CSRT is reviewing the matter and met this week with the Planning Advisory Board to present information and begin a discussion of the issue. The owner of the Starlite and his attorney were invited to the meeting and provided brief comments.
- 2012 Tourism Matters Meeting & Celebrity Awards: Mayor Richardson was the emcee for the Annual Tacoma Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau (TRCVB) Awards Luncheon this week. Regional tourism goals were shared in a lively, conversational, and story-telling manner. The mayor hosted the celebrity award presentations for “Community Unity,” “Tourism Professional,” “Sports Tourism,” and “Tourism Visionary.” To find out more about the TRCVB and to view the winners, go to: www.traveltacoma.com . Councilmember Whalen also attended the meeting as well as City Economic Development staff.
- Category: Front Page
- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 09:33
It is time for the Third Annual Fallen Officers Food Drive , a food drive benefiting families in Pierce County through the Emergency Food Network.
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Lakewood Police Station
9401 Lakewood Dr SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
Nov. 29 - Dec. 7
A Storage Center Locations
Blue Steele Coffee Company
Blumenthal Uniforms & Equipment
(Lakewood, Tacoma, Puyallup, Gig Harbor)
Kilroy Realty Corporation – Skyline Tower
Lakewood Ace Hardware
Mountain View Funeral Home
Old Milwaukee Cafe
Pierce County Library Branches
Rusty’s Auto & Truck Repair
Surplus Ammo & Arms
- Category: Press Releases
- Published on Tuesday, 13 November 2012 11:39
Company’s Eighth Location Selected to Serve South Sound Customers
LAKEWOOD, Wash. (November 13, 2012) — Kenworth Northwest is breaking ground on a new full-service dealership in Lakewood, Wash. Opening in early summer 2013, the new location along I-5 will provide the company the ability to better serve the needs of their customers.
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 11/9/2012
- Coffee with the Mayor - November 9, 2012
- Kenworth Northwest Groundbreaking
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 11/2/2012
- Black Bear Frozen Yogurt & Espresso Expands Across Washington
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 10/26/2012
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 10/19/2012
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 10/12/2012
- 10-20 Services Inc. Opens Military Gear Restoration Facility
- Lakewood Police Recruiting