Sign up for weekly news updates .
- Category: Press Releases
- Published on Thursday, 11 October 2012 15:13
10-20 Services Inc. Opens Military Gear Restoration Facility
Professional tactical cleaning service opens flagship franchise in Lakewood
LAKEWOOD, Wash. (September 19, 2012)
10-20 Services Inc. , a company that provides professional tactical cleaning and repair services, recently opened its flagship franchise in Lakewood, Wash. The business cleans and restores personal protective equipment for military personnel as well as first responders and other technical professionals. The parent company of 10-20 Services, Mission Ready Services Inc., selected the Lakewood area due to the proximity to Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
According to Site Manager, Rich Burnite, the city economic development and permitting staff were more than accommodating to welcome 10-20 Services’ flagship franchise to the city. “I have never seen a city government support businesses in this way. We are looking forward to a successful future in the City of Lakewood.”
The business provides an economical approach for customers to minimize replacement expenses for body armor or other types of personal protective equipment. 10-20 Services’ cleaning technology uses computer controlled washing machines, engineered detergents, non-mechanical drying procedures and equipment repairs create a no-impact cleaning system that does not affect functionality. For example, 10-20 Services cleans and sanitizes body armor and fire fighter turn out gear without diminishing its critical, lifesaving properties.
According to Burnite, the company will grow to serve the United States Military on a national level. 10-20 Services plans to open eight more locations across the United States with the next one planned near Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
“This is the first of many locations,” said 10-20 Service President, Clay Williamson. “There is a great demand for our cost-saving service. If a military base can reuse equipment while maintaining a high level of protection for the wearer, that is a win.”
10-20 Services is largely a defense contractor. Estimates suggest 10-20 Services could save the Department of Defense millions of dollars in the coming years considering that the cost of cleaning, repairing and restoring equipment is much more economical than replacing gear.
10-20 Services, Inc. is located at 10111 South Tacoma Way, Lakewood, WA 98499.
About Lakewood, Washington
Lakewood is the second largest city in Pierce County and the eighteenth largest in Washington. It is strategically located between Sea-Tac International Airport and Olympia, the state’s capital. The city is home to 60,000 residents and nearly 3,200 businesses. Lakewood also is the host community to Joint Base Lewis-McChord and Camp Murray, two major military installations. In 2012, Lakewood was named one of the nation’s 100 Best Communities for Young People by America’s Promise Alliance for the sixth year. In addition to vibrant residential and business communities, the city offers a myriad of recreational opportunities for residents and tourists. These include: five lakes offering water skiing, rowing, and fishing; four golf courses; Fort Steilacoom Park, and Lakewold Gardens, to name a few. The city also is the gateway to: Chambers Bay Golf Course, selected as home to the 2015 U.S. Open; Mt. Rainier National Park; and Puget Sound waterways and islands.
- Category: Front Page
- Published on Wednesday, 10 October 2012 17:49
The Lakewood Police Department is looking for new entry-level recruits. Applications will be accepted starting November 5th. More information is available at www.JoinLakewoodPD.com .
There will be a Police Department Open House on Sunday November 4th from 1pm to 4pm.
- Category: Weekly Info Bulletins
- Published on Friday, 05 October 2012 15:36
October 5, 2012
WEEKLY INFO BULLETIN
To: Mayor and Members of the City Council
From: Andrew Neiditz, City Manager
- Sounder Train Ceremony and Service: Sound Transit invites the public to participate in a three-station celebration Saturday, Oct. 6 as it launches Sounder train service to Lakewood and South Tacoma. The Lakewood event will last from 10:30am to 4pm at Lakewood Station, 11424 Pacific Highway. Sound Transit will provide free train rides and other family-friendly activities. The City’s Public Works Department will be on hand to educate the public about the pedestrian bridge currently under construction and projected to open toward the end of 2012. Commuter service starts Monday, Oct. 8 . For more information including Saturday train ride schedules, please visit: http://www.soundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/News-and-events/Calendar/Lakewood-Launch-Celebration-10-6-12.xml .
- October 8th Study Session Cancelled: Lakewood City Hall is open for business on Columbus Day (Monday, October 8). However, that evening’s Council Study Session has been cancelled due to scheduling complications with the guest presenter.
- Youth Celebration at City Hall: From 6-7pm, Monday, October 15, the City, its Youth Council, and Lakewood’s Promise will host a “Youth Celebration” to commemorate the City’s recognition as one of “100 Best Communities for Young People.” Mr. Jordan LaPier from America’s Promise will present this award to the City. The Youth Council will challenge young people, community groups, and families to engage in volunteer service. The City will provide refreshments and the public is encouraged to attend.
- Transportation Coordinating Committee recommends PCRC funding: The Transportation Coordinating Committee (TCC) of the Pierce County Regional Council (PCRC) met on Oct 4th to recommend a project funding list. The PCRC must determine how to allocate an additional $2,585,596 in federal transportation grant funds. The TCC selected projects based on a previously approved contingency list. With PCRC’s concurrence, Lakewood would receive an additional $100,000 required to complete the $750,000 Traffic Signal Upgrade-ITS-Phase IV project. PCRC is scheduled to take action on TCC’s recommendations on October 18th.
- Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA) Patching – next week: City contractor, Asphalt Patch, will complete major hot-mix asphalt (HMA) patching during the week of October 8th during day-time hours. Most notable locations include Lakewood Drive (Flett Creek to 74th); Pacific Highway at 108th; and Gravelly Lake Drive near Country Club Drive. Temporary lane closures will be in effect during these projects.
- HR Director attends Washington Public Employers Labor Relations Association (WAPELRA) Conference: HR Director Debra Young attended the annual Washington Public Employers Labor Relations Association (WAPELRA) conference. WAPELRA presented a wide variety of topics such as recent PERC decisions, social media, investigations, and health care reform.
- Category: Front Page
- Published on Tuesday, 09 October 2012 13:16
Starting Oct. 8, Sounder began offering first-class, reliable service between Lakewood and Seattle. New stops are Lakewood and South Tacoma and it continues to downtown Tacoma, Puyallup, Sumner, Auburn, Kent, Tukwila and Seattle. Trains have plush seating, outlets for computers, bicycle storage, restrooms and fantastic views. Information related to schedules, fares, and so forth can be found here: http://www.soundtransit.org/rider-community/rider-news/lakewood-south-tacoma-sounder-service.xml .
Sound Transit hosted a ribbon-cutting event on October 6th to celebrate the Sounder’s arrival in Lakewood. Check out the City’s Facebook page to see the photos posted (on October 8th): http://www.facebook.com/LakewoodWA
- Category: Front Page
- Published on Wednesday, 03 October 2012 09:56
Please join me for Coffee with the Mayor on Friday, October 12, 2012 at 7:30 a.m. We will meet in the Resource Center at St. Clare Hospital, 4908 112th Street SW, in Lakewood.
Our guest speaker will be U.S. Air Force COL R. Wyn Elder, Commander, 62nd Airlift Wing, who will provide an update of the 62nd.
If you have any questions, please contact Executive Assistant Deanne Wegmann at (253) 589-2489. I hope to see you there!
Mayor Douglas G. Richardson
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 9/28/2012
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 9/21/2012
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 9/14/2012
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 9/7/2012
- Coffee with the Mayor - September 14, 2012
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 8/31/2012
- Lakewood Ford Celebrates 5 Years in Lakewood
- Oakhouse Redesign Creates Inviting Restaurant and Bar in Lakewood
- New Subscription Model Increases Number of Golfers at Oakbrook Golf Course
- City Manager's Weekly Info Bulletin 8/24/2012