Lakewood is home to a number of golf courses that cater to golfers of all skills and income levels.
It even has golf courses designed for past and present members of the military.
Here are a few of the golfing options in Lakewood:
- RMG Club at Oakbrook , 8102 Zircon Dr. SW; Lakewood, WA. Phone: (253) 584-8770: Owned and managed by Pro Ryan Moore and his family's company. It's open to the public. This 18-hole, 6,700-plus-yard championship course is accessible for players of all skill levels.Famous for having the best greens around, it is sure to be a treat for anyone who appreciates firm, smooth, and fast greens.
- American Lake Veterans Golf Course , 9600 Veterans Drive; Lakewood, WA. Phone: (253) 583-1058: The nation's only golf course designed specifically with veterans in mind, this course is dedicated to providing, teaching and promoting the benefits of golf to veterans. The American Lake Veterans Golf Course is committed to providing a therapeutic environment where accommodation is welcome and all golfers can enjoy the benefits of golf, such as exercise and relaxation in a positive and accepting social environment. It is a nine-hole golf course with front nine/back nine T-Boxes. A back nine, designed by golf icon Jack Nicklaus , is under construction.
- The Tacoma Country and Golf Club, 13204 Country Club Drive SW; Lakewood, WA. Phone: (253) 588-2161: Billed as the oldest private golf club west of the Mississippi River, this member-only course is known as one of the most beautiful in the Northwest. Its centerpiece is an 18-hole, 6,900-plus-yard course.
- Fort Steilacoom Golf Course, 8202 87th Ave. SW; Lakewood, WA. Phone: (253) 588-0613: A nine-hole that features dual tees for an 18-hole round that is popular among locals. Owned and operated by Pierce County, this is located next to Western State Hospital.
Here are some nearby golf courses
- Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5, Exit 116; Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Phone: (253) 967-6522: Located near Joint Base Lewis-McChord, this is one of the best courses in Western Washington and is open to the general public. With its impressive design and perfectly groomed layout, this 27-hole championship course features exceptional greens, manicured fairways and forgiving rough with tee boxes designed for all levels of golfers.
- Whispering Firs Golf Course, Bldg. 895, Lincoln Blvd. JBLM, McChord Field. Phone: (253) 982-2124: This course is well-manicured with tree-lined fairways, tough rough and small greens. In addition, water hazards come into play on several holes. Whispering Firs features 18 holes and 6,646 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 71.8 and it has a slope rating of 122 on Blue grass. Overall, the golf course is a challenging, yet fair course.
- Meadow Park Golf Course, 7108 Lakewood Dr. W; Tacoma, WA. Phone: (253) 473-3033: Owned and operated by Metro Parks Tacoma and bordering Lakewood, this is a great municipal golf facility for players of all ages and skil levels. It offers a challenging 18-hole Championship, the Williams Nine, or just drive at the range.
- Chambers Bay Golf Course , 6320 Grandview Dr W; University Place, WA. Phone: (253) 460-4653: Home of the 2015 U.S. Open, this links-style course overlooking Puget Sound is renowned across the globe. The site of a former gravel mine, Pierce County has transformed the site into a golf mecca. It features tawny fescue grasses, towering sand dunes, massive fairways, and breathtaking views of the Puget Sound and snow-capped Olympic Mountains. It is an 18-hole, walking-only course that provides an authentic links experience for players of every ability.