Chief Zaro is an experienced and educated law enforcement executive with over 21 years of law enforcement experience in Pierce County, the last 14 of which were in the City of Lakewood. During that time he attained in depth experience as both a Patrol Officer and Detective. He has more than nine years of supervisory and command level experience that involved policy development and labor relations. Chief Zaro has demonstrated leadership in a variety of political environments and critical incidents. He is an established public speaker with the ability to connect with a wide range of people and has worked in a collaborative effort to make connections with other police departments and organizations in the region.
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice and Sociology from Washington State University 1993
- WSCJTC Basic Law Enforcement Academy 1994
- F.B.I. National Academy 240th session
- F.B.I. Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar 68th session
- Master of Arts in Administrative Leadership from the University of Oklahoma 2012
- American Leadership Forum Class #XXI
- Police Executive Research Forum’s Senior Management Institute for Police July 2015