The Public Works Engineering Department is responsible for providing or contracting for municipal services, including engineering, traffic flow, street systems, surface water management, solid waste and recycling, and transportation planning.
The Lakewood Public Works Department is organized into two major divisions. The following briefly describes the functions of each division:
- Transportation Division: Provides transportation planning, traffic operation improvements, neighborhood traffic services, and oversees capital street projects.
- Surface Water Management Division: Manages the City's natural and man-made surface water system by providing surface water systems improvements and maintenance functions.
- Development Review: Ensures that development within the City of Lakewood meets current City codes and development standards by providing technical project review, project permitting and construction inspection.
- Solid Waste and Recycling: The City of Lakewood promotes recycling and responsible disposal of many materials. Waste Connections is contracted to collect garbage and recycling for residents and businesses in Lakewood. The City manages the contract and resolves residents' service issues. Current rates for solid waste services .
- Right-of-Way Permits:
Public Works is located on the 2nd floor of City Hall located at:
6000 Main Street SW
Lakewood, WA 98499-5027
Main phone number for general information: (253) 589-2489
Right-of-Way Permit Inspections Hotline (provide 2 business days notice): (253) 983-7891
Operations and Maintenance Division - (253) 267-1628
- Adopt-A-Street Program
- After hours emergency
- After hours sign emergencies (stop sign down, yield sign missing from post, etc...)
- Street Light Issues
- Traffic Signal Issues
Life-threatening emergencies please call: 911