2016 JBLM/Camp Murray Regional Survey
The South Sound Military & Communities Partnership (SSMCP) conducted a survey hosted by Survey Monkey to Joint Base-Lewis McChord (JBLM) and Camp Murray mail.mil, af.mil email addresses. A wide variety of topics were asked about including housing, education, transition services and perceptions. The primary target audience was Active Duty Service Members and Reservists. Most participants were non-military personnel working on the installation.
2015 Business and Community Survey
JBLM Needs & Preferences Survey
Since 2011, SSMCP has issued two Needs & Preferences Surveys of JBLM active duty and civilian personnel to raise awareness in local communities of the impact JBLM has in the area, strengthen local communities’ ties with JBLM, and bolster the level of service desired by service members off base. It is the intent that these surveys will be issued every two years to keep information accurate and timely for best use by South Sound cities and counties.
The purpose of the 2013-2014 Joint Base Lewis McChord Needs & Preferences Survey was to:
- Provide a refresh of the 2011 data on the demographic profile, perceptions, and needs of military families stationed at, and civilian contractors employed at, JBLM;
- Expand the data set on transitioning service members’ plans for post-active duty life; and,
- Analyze traffic patterns of military families and the civilian workforce.
2011 Trends that Continued
• High satisfaction with the quality of life in the South Sound Region
• > 1/3 of the active duty population has been stationed at JBLM for < 1 year
• Uncertainty among those transitioning off active duty about their future plans
|Greater Pierce County||Unincorporated Pierce County||Greater Thurston County||Unincorporated Thurston County||Greater King County|
New Findings in 2013
• Shift in off-base housing toward Thurston County and rural settings
• Servicemembers and JBLM civilian workers are increasingly frustrated with I-5 traffic and other transportation challenge.