REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) - RENTAL HOUSING SAFETY PROGRAM INSPECTOR
The City of Lakewood (“City”) is seeking to create a Rental Housing Safety Program (RHSP) Inspector Roster, from which rental property owners may select and conduct inspections of their rental properties in accordance with the RHSP protocols. The City is hereby requesting qualifications be submitted from inspectors interested in providing inspection services for this program.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The City of Lakewood is seeking qualified rental housing inspectors to provide residential inspection services for rental properties in the City of Lakewood. Residential inspection services shall include single family residences, units of multiplexes, and apartment buildings.
Inspection of rental housing units shall include items that endanger or impair the health or safety of a tenant as provided under RCW 59.18.060 and LMC 5.60, including (a) structural members that are of insufficient size or strength to carry imposed loads with safety, (b) exposure of the occupants to the weather, (c) plumbing and sanitation defects that directly expose the occupants to the risk of illness or injury, (d) not providing facilities adequate to supply heat and water and hot water as reasonably required by the tenant, (e) providing heating or ventilation systems that are not functional or are hazardous, (f) defective, hazardous, or missing electrical wiring or electrical service, (g) defective or hazardous exits that increase the risk of injury to occupants, and (h) conditions that increase the risk of fire.
A list of qualified rental housing inspectors will be maintained by the City of Lakewood and made available to the public. Rental property owners shall be responsible for contracting directly with rental housing inspectors for rental inspection services; no contracts shall be administered by the City of Lakewood.
Qualified rental housing inspectors shall provide inspection services in accordance with RCW 59.18.060 and LMC 5.60, in form and format acceptable to the City of Lakewood. All inspections shall be provided through the City of Lakewood Rental Housing Safety Program website which is located at: http://rentalhousing.cityoflakewood.us/ .
A qualified rental housing inspector shall possess at least one of the following credentials:
- United States Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Certified Inspector;
- American Society of Home Inspectors Certified Inspector;
- American Association of Code Enforcement Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector certification;
- International Code Council Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector certification;
- International Code Council Residential Building Inspector certification;
- A municipal code enforcement officer;
- A Washington State licensed structural engineer;
- A Washington State licensed architect;
- Washington State Licensed Home Inspector (RCW 18.280);
- A private inspector certified by the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials, the American Association of Code Enforcement, or other comparable professional association as approved by the Rental Housing Safety Program Administrator or Designee; or
- Other acceptable credentials the director establishes by rule.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
To qualify as an approved rental housing inspector for the City of Lakewood Rental Housing Safety Program, beginning October 2, 2017 qualified inspectors must create an inspector account and upload required program certification(s) at:
All submissions will be reviewed by City of Lakewood Rental Housing Safety Program staff to ensure completeness of submittal, including program qualification(s) and payment of registration fee(s) as applicable.Notification of approval or denial will be submitted in writing to applicant.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
There is no closing date for applications to be received. Rental housing inspector registration shall remain open and on a continuing basis with initial registration beginning October 1, 2017.
RFQ CONTACT INFORMATION
City of Lakewood
Rental Housing Safety Program
ATTN: Jeff Gumm, Program Manager – Housing Division
6000 Main St. SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
Rental Housing Safety Program hotline: (253) 983-7850
This Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is not an offer of employment.The City reserves the right to vary from the qualifications requested and/or to reject any and all submissions.